PDA

View Full Version : HP Color Laserjet 4700 Loud Clicking Noise ...

ckoeber
11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Hello

I have an HP Color Laserjet 4700 that prints fine except for the fact that it makes a loud clicking noise whenever I print.

I have checked to make sure everything is seated properly and there are no obvious obstructions to the paper pathway.

Anything else I can check.

Regards,
Christopher K.

mixmaster
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Hmm...don't get me wrong but when a printer is printing, EVERYTHING is moving. But there are ways to determine where the clicking is coming from. It's been a while since I worked on printers but here goes.

1. Does the clicking occur when you turn the printer off, then turned back on? Timing when the clicking occurs as well as if it clicks for a while, then stops, then starts again would be good to know. If it only happens during printing, please describe the clicking noise in a little more detail. I know that when printing, the cartridges are engaged in a certain way that results in a series of 4 clicks at the beginning of the print job, but shouldn't occur the rest of the time.

2. Scroll through the menu and find "Diagnostics." In there is an option for "Component Test." If you look through that sub-menu, you'll find there's options for a ton of individual components of the printer. I wouldn't worry about any of the solenoid tests, but try the various motors. It may help narrow things down.

3. Lastly, and this might sound pretty remedial, if you determine it only happens with a couple of tests, reseating those components might help. What I mean here is if the transfer motor is only causing the clicking, remove the transfer belt assembly and reseat it. It may help.

As you can tell, I say may a lot. I'm hoping this WILL help you!

ckoeber
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I will try these suggestions now and get back with you.

Regards,
Chris K.

redcow
12-09-2008, 12:06 AM
What happened?
Did it ever get fixed?

ckoeber
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Apologies for not updating.

The proposed fixes did work. Going through the diagnostics lead me to completely reset all of the components. Once that was done the clicking stopped.

Regards,
Chris K.

batmace
08-22-2009, 02:32 AM
ok. i got a problem similar with the same model. a loud grinding noise when it is turned on. or reads cartridges not engaged...???

MichaelTech
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Last post; Your developer disengagement plate may have stripped some teeth. It is on the left side, check the lower part at the motor gear, and the upper part at a small white gear. It is possible that the left socket for the ETB is cracked, and not lifting the drive interlock plate.