PDA

View Full Version : laser color printer

BrownShirt228
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi. I’m looking to purchase a laser color printer for around $200. I’m keeping my old inkjet all-in-one printer because its scanner capabilities still work. I would like copying options, but I don’t really want to spend extra money buying a laser color printer/copier.

Can’t I just scan with my old inkjet, then print the scan with a laser?

Also, can I use inkjet paper in a laser color printer to print text? The name of my old inkjet paper is Hammermill Ultra Premium Inkjet (96 Brightness). It’s not photo paper, but the wrapper shows two color pictures on it, indicating I assume that it can be used as photo paper.

Thank you :)

mixmaster
11-12-2008, 11:02 PM
So you have 2 issues:
1) You want a color laser to replace the print capability of an all-in-one you still want to use.
2) You want to print on inkjet media, as long as you are printing text.

Okay.
1) Sure. Why not scan a page and then print it on the new color laser printer? Other than taking a couple of extra steps (and minutes) there's no reason you can't do that. I do wonder what kind of print jobs you were doing. If you are copying photographs, it might prove interesting in both time and print quality. If you can, go ahead and scan something you typically copy, put it on a CD or flash drive and take it to the store and have them test it on the printer you want to get. Just a thought...

2) I use inkjet media in laser printers all day long. The only thing I make sure of is that there is no coating on the paper. If it has a glossy or slick finish, don't use it in a laser printer. When the paper hits the fusing assembly, some of the finish can be cooked out of the paper and get attracted to the roller, causing print defects over time.

But, if it is normal inkjet media, it is just paper that can absorb moisture better than laser printer media.

Hope this helps.