PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Images

jeanlo
01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi,

Lately, our LaserJet 8150N has been showing repeat images on our printouts. I've posted a scan of it, but it's kind of hard to see:

http://www.globalsatcom.com/temp/testpage.jpg

Here is another pic, zoomed in on the repeat image:

http://www.globalsatcom.com/temp/zoom.jpg

Basically, it only does it at this area, between 4.5" - 6" (measured from the top of the page). I've also noticed that in this area, whatever has been printed in this area on the page always feels a bit rough.

Does this mean our drum needs to be replaced?

Jean

redcow
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Have you checked the fuser and the drum?

jeanlo
01-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Have you checked the fuser and the drum?

Where is the fuser? And what am I checking for exactly? Will there be scratches visible?

Jean

Frogs31
01-27-2005, 09:30 AM
The fuser will be the door on the left side of the printer as you are looking at the printer, open the door and you should see the fuser. Once you pull the fuser out, look inside at the drums and normally you will see the repeat image burned into the drum. If this is the case, replace the fuser.

Also did you try switching toners, repeat images could also come from the toner.

hai
01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
It is the same thing happening to my 8100's and 8150's. The thing is it does not happen on every print job and/or at the same spot. It could be anywhere along the right margin(sometimes left margin too) like yours, from top to bottom accordingly. Changing fuser still not do it. Changing transfer roller still not do it. I just thought it might be the low voltage power supply.
And I'm still looking for an answer before calling the tech, where he could come in with a sharp knife :) .

Good Luck,
hai

hai
01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
please refer to this too as I did happen to find it though I did not take a look at my printers yet. Hope it'll work for you. http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=815223&page=1

jeanlo
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
The fuser will be the door on the left side of the printer as you are looking at the printer, open the door and you should see the fuser. Once you pull the fuser out, look inside at the drums and normally you will see the repeat image burned into the drum. If this is the case, replace the fuser.

Also did you try switching toners, repeat images could also come from the toner.

Yes, we tried switching toners, but it didn't help.

I took out the fuser, and it seems to have stuff burned onto the drum. Is there any way that we can try to clean it before we replace it?

Jean

Frogs31
01-28-2005, 06:53 AM
As far as I know there is no way to "clean" the drum, you could probably replace the drum itself instead of the enitre fuser, but for me it is much easier to switch the entire fuser.

ptjeff1
01-28-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm a little late to this thread but here are a few comments...

This type of image defect with repeated images is very common when the fuser starts to wear out, or more specifically the "hot" roller in the fuser. You need to replace the fuser. Also, a note on terminology, most people I talk to refer to the "drum" as the toner cartrige, which contains a photosensitive drum. The LJ 8150 fuser contains a large aluminum roller with a nonstick coating, sometimes called the hot roller or the upper fuser roller. When the coating wears toner can get baked on and you won't be able to remove it without ruining the roller.

Fuser location on the laserjet 8100/8150 can be found here http://www.printertechs.com/tech/mkinst/mk-5si8000-2fuser.php

jeanlo
01-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Okay, well, I just placed an order for a maintenance kit. Thanks for all the help!

Jean

HPTECH
01-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Yes, we tried switching toners, but it didn't help.

I took out the fuser, and it seems to have stuff burned onto the drum. Is there any way that we can try to clean it before we replace it?

Jean

Anynone remember the 4V which is famous for Fuser Roller Buildup. When I started my transformation from typewriters to printers. I would clean these rollers . With something called IBM Fluid. It worked well at the time. But now I'm growing a extra limb. :eek: So maybe I should have just replaced the fuser.

jeanlo
07-01-2005, 08:43 AM
It's been 6 months since we replaced the fuser with one from PrinterTechs, but it looks like it's starting to have the same problem again. We took it out, it looked like toner was just burned onto it, but only in the center region. I'm assuming it's something else that's causing this. Could it be the ICL arm kit that's discussed in that tek-tips thread, where the cleaning roller doesn't clean off any excess toner from the transfer drum?

Jean

LT2000
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
you can clean some fusers with selsol solution, it will desolve baked on toner without damaging the roller. other fusers have a film sleeve which can be replaced when remanufaturing the actual fuser.