PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 4050N: tray 1 question

RandyW
08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
We have a customer who is having some problems printing from their manual feed tray. They use it to feed labels and envelopes.

The customer says "nothing has changed" from the way they always have been printing on them. I believe only 1 person uses it (the assistant to the owner). Sometimes the printer doesn't recognize their is anything in tray 1. And sometimes the printer will print but after a lengthy delay- maybe 10 minutes.

I had someone at the company send me a copy of the config page and tray doesn't appear on it under the paper trays and options. Is that normal? I was thinking it should be on there and they somehow have deleted it.

thanks!

cs_steve
08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Tray 1 will not be listed on the Config page, that is normal...

I would suggest doing a Cold Reset on the machine--this will restore all factory default settings, so if you have a network card on that computer you'll want to pull that out first ... to do a Cold Reset: power down the machine, hold down the Green button as you turn it back on, hold the button until all LEDs are staying illuminated, release Green button...

other possibilities:
- They may be using the wrong printer driver ... try downloading/ reinstalling a driver from HP.com as drivers can occasionally be corrupted...
- If you're using a network card, this could be faililng ...

prntrfxr
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
sometimes its the configuration settings. Check to see how its set up. customers change these things all the time and swear they dont change it. Cold reset should set it back to defaults as cs_steve suggested, but I would check settings anyway.

MichaelTech
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
"Nothing's changed" of the WAY they are printing, but what about the stock used? Has it changed? Cheaper labels mess up quite often. Same with envelopes. Tray 1 bypasses the feed assy., which could be failing, and produce an error.

redcow
09-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Check the specs of the envelopes(weight 28 lbs max) and labels are specked using thickness.

Short story. Two end users, one with a 2840 printing 93 lb card stock. Worked for months no problems. Then all of a sudden paper jams and misfeeds tray 1. Paper feed assembly just all of a sudden stopped working. $379.00 later the printer is working again, but he won't go over 50 lb stock again.
2nd EU, a 5200....labels too thick and again heavy, heavy card stock. Same symptoms as above. 2 paper feed assemblies(2 techs worked on it), a registration assembly all new rollers, still doesn't feed the heavy stuff. Paper within the specs feed fine.

Sometimes the printer works with out of spec paper, sometimes for long periods...consider yourself lucky!