PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 5550 54.18 error

bigolac
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some help. I keep getting a 54.18 error on my 5550dn color laserjet - it is asking me to clean the color registration detection sensor - I don't know what this is or where. I have used the small blue sponge like brush across the metal bar twice back an forth, but to no avail. It is also now reporting that I need to replace the black toner cartridge, but I know that it was at 24% full as of yesterday.

If anyone can tell me how to find this color registration detection sensor and how to clean it, I would appreciate it. Pictures would be even more helpful. I am mechanically inclined, but need a little push.

Thanks

Big Al
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
If you go to: www.partsurfer.hp.com, enter your country and ask for HP 5550it will take you to the right screen. Enter part # RG5-6688-008CN. You will get a parts breakdown screen. Ask for the printable version and it will show you where the part is. I have only worked on a few of these. It sort of looks like it might be on or near the fuser. Blowing it off with compressed gas should do it. These printers usually have lucite "light pipes" and they get contaminated too. They carry the laser pulses to the toner cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Big Al

bcp
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
While the recommended procedure from HP about cleaning may be the first, logical thing to do; try this.
[I had the exact same message] and discovered it was that the cartridge [black in this case] was not aligning/seating properly.]]
Fix: I replaced the black cartridge, the 5550 calibrated and went to ready.

Hope this helps.