PDA

View Full Version : HP 4350DTN error message

murphy
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Replaced a formatter on a 4350dtn printer last week & it's now on the network printing fine but when it's sitting idle in the "Ready" condition, the display will also show a warning "Initialize Card Slot." I scoured the manual but couldn't find anything relating to that particular error. Any Ideas ?? The printer seems to work fine and everyone can print to it without any problems...

Thanks,

Murphy:rolleyes:

cs_steve
07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
You might try a Cold Reset (turn printer off, turn printer on, when memory begins counting onscreen, press & hold the Checkmark button until all the LED lights stay illuminated, then release Checkmark button, and use Down arrow button to find the option for "Cold Reset", press Checkmark button)

redcow
07-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Remember, it's an embedded JetDirect. Print a "menu map" first.

prntrfxr
07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Below is excerpts from one of my service notes - 9 out of 10 times step 1 works for some unknown reason. hope this helps you. :)

Problem:
There are two occasions when this error appears. A hard disk drive initialization is required whenever a hard disk is installed for the first time. When it is installed it will display “CARD SLOT NOT INITIALIZED” on control panel. Simply initialize the hard disk (with it installed) and error should go away. However, occasionally a false error sometimes occurs. The reason for the problem is not yet known, however it may be communication problem or some glitch that makes the printer think there is a problem with the hard drive or that there is one installed when it is not. Perform the resolution steps below to resolve these issues.

I. Initialize Hard Disk Drive - (whether or not there is one actually installed.) - CAUTION: Unless this is the initial installation of the Hard Disk, remove it prior to initialization. Failure to REMOVE installed Hard Disk may cause loss of information.
In addition, it may be wise to turn OFF Ram Disk (defaults to Auto).

24XX/4250/4350/CLR 4650/CLR 5550 series
1.) Power up printer until memory count starts.
2.) Press and hold MENU button.
3.) Release when all 3 LED’s are on (not blinking)
4.) Press (return key).
5.) Displays “INITIALIZE DISK”
6.) Press (select) button.

II. Perform Cold Reset – Print configuration page, remove all MIO/EIO devices (JetDirect Cards or Hard Disk Drives) installed as failure to do so will result in loss of information, and perform COLD RESET. Use the information from the configuration page to restore any customer defaults and/or information lost.

To perform cold reset follow cs_steve's instructions above

III. Install New Firmware – Some of the newer model printers use a small CompactFlash memory slot for a type of firmware. Sometimes if it is corrupted or defective it will cause the “CARD SLOT NOT INITIALIZED” error to appear. Flash new firmware (if corrupted or in need of update) or replace with new firmware upgrade (if defective or flash fails).

Go to hp's website or purchase new firmware chip.

redcow
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Forget about item III, doesn't pertain to this printer.

murphy
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies regarding this error message. Tried a cold reset with no success. I will try the HD init. tomorrow and see if that takes care of this problem. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Murphy

prntrfxr
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
sorry about that. copied and pasted from the service note i created in a hurry. My service note has instructions for most of HP printers. HP 4350 doesnt have compact flash. My bad. :(

murphy
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I just finished preforming a HD Init. on this printer & that took care of the annoying message that kept popping up. Thanks for all the help...Murphy