PDA

View Full Version : Adding printers on XP workstations

bigc1972
06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
My hospital utilizes a form creation product called Access eForms....I won't bore you with all the details but basically there is a significant number of logical printers using generic/text only drivers that "drive" this product.

I would like to be able to add various printers from this system to workstations throughout the hospital. We do not have a product like ScriptLogic to automate this process so the only way our net admins have to do it is to pull all local profiles off a pc and then login to a clone account and add the printers and then copy clone users profile to the defualt user so that when folks log back in and establish a new profile they'll have access to the additional printers. While this works it is EXTREMELY time consuming. I've attempted to export the printer reg key and then import it on another box which works fine but when you look at the printer in Start-Settings-Printers the printer appears but it is offline and cannot be placed online. I can't see any setting within the reg key that controls this and permissions on the key don't have any effect on being able to place the printer online.

So my question is has anyone found a way to accomplish this without going through all the profile who-ha? Again the reg key thing may work and I'm just performing the steps incorrectly...

Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks.