PDA

View Full Version : HP LaserJet 5 gear stripped

Rich_Bailey77
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I have a LaserJet 5 that has a plastic gear that is stripped (about half the teeth are missing). The gear is the one that turns the gear that is attached to the fuser. I have replaced the fuser (I did the whole maintenance kit) but I need to replace that plastic gear that interfaces the fuser gear. I've tried looking at the schematics for the printer and am having a hard time telling what part I need to replace. :confused:

I've done some printer repair before and I am sure I can do it but figuring out what part I will need to replace is giving me trouble. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

redcow
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Is this a color or mono LJ5?

prntrfxr
06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
If its the HP 5 (monochrome) the part you want is called:

Fuser Coupler Gear Asm - RF5-0350 (touches fuser gear)

I usually replace the gear that meshes with it:

17T/32T Gear - RS5-0237 (touches coupler gear)

To replace it, remove toner cartridge, right cover, fuser asm, motor (4 screws), main drive asm (2 screws). Slide out drive asm from fuser cavity. You will need retaining clip pliers to remove shaft holding coupler gear asm and the other gear. For a faster repair you could just replace:

Main Drive Asm - RG5-0876.
:)

cs_steve
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
That part is available here: http://printertechsdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/hpla4and5mag.html

Rich_Bailey77
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry I forgot to post back. I replaced it with the part you recommended cs_steve and now the printer is working great! Thanks for your help prntrfxr. :)