PDA

View Full Version : 2430 tray 2 motor shaft

robrike
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I am working on a Laserjet 2430dtn printer. The fuser had delaminated and I had the customer okay the replacement kit. It came with a new tray 2 roller and I decided to replace it against my better judgement. Now I cannot get the roller to lock onto the shaft. When I slide the right side lever to lock it into place the collar pushed the roller away from the shaft. It appears that the shaft may have broken on the end because it is not long enough to stay in contact. Do the shafts break? I did not see anything obvious, no broken parts, etc. Or, could it have dislodged from the inside and is sliding too far to the right? I am at a loss and desperate to get this back up and running, even if it means disabling tray 2 and using tray 3 somehow as a temp fix.
Thanks for any insight you all may have,
Rob Rike

MichaelTech
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Turn the roller around. Different slots. Ensure the shaft is locked on to the drive gear on the right.

cs_steve
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
This is a pretty common problem for these 2400 series, as well as 2100, 2200, 2300...that pickup roller is tricky and if you're not careful when installing it you can dislodge the shaft...the shaft is probably not broken, but yes, it is dislodged...

Unforunately...it is a major pain to access the other end of the shaft...
you have to remove the side panels & covers to get access to the gear assembly and then find this shaft with its drive gear ... there is a spring that attaches onto that gear, it may be popped loose, or else the gear on the shaft just needs to be realigned to mesh with the other gears so the shaft will stay in place...

Sometimes you can do this without taking the panels off, try twisting the shaft and pulling to the left to try to twist that gear and help it mesh with the other gears...otherwise, you'll have to pull the panels to get a better look at what is going on...

robrike
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid I might have to dig into it much further than I wanted. I will try pulling the shaft to the left and trying to engage the gear. I will post what I find early next week.
Thanks again,
Rob