PDA

View Full Version : 1610 PSC All in one not working

ajay
05-18-2008, 01:40 AM
I have a HP PSC 1610 All in one printer. It has worked (I mus say not 100% of the time) since I 've owned it. I'm running Vista Home Premium on my Optima Laptop. Recently, it's been reinstalling everytime I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB cable and now (in the last day or so) will not print at all from the laptop. I've tried almost everything, adding printers, reinstalling the driver etc. I've even installed a generic printer. Nothing has worked! I can however print a test page from the printer itself so it is definitely something on my laptop.

Another thing with the printer, it has rarely allowed me to scan to the computer ("not connected" even if it was) or use the help files (same deal).

I'm not concerned about those things but I NEED to be able to print my assignments!

Thanks

cs_steve
05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not really familiar with this model...but did a quick search for "user reviews" and saw many complaints about this printer and its accompanying software, etc. If you've tried reinstalling the driver and still had no luck -- there's not much else you can do. Vista is notoriously bad with drivers and I'm thinking you may (bad news!) find it easier to take your losses and replace the printer... but read some reviews before purchasing another and find one that is well-recommended and definitely Vista-compatible...

redcow
05-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Can you get your hands on another PC or laptop, to use to install your printer. Maybe it's the USB port or cable that's bad.
You want to make sure that the printer hasn't any error msgs displayed.
You do have the printer disconnected from your laptop when you install the drivers???

ajay
05-19-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm not really familiar with this model...but did a quick search for "user reviews" and saw many complaints about this printer and its accompanying software, etc. If you've tried reinstalling the driver and still had no luck -- there's not much else you can do. Vista is notoriously bad with drivers and I'm thinking you may (bad news!) find it easier to take your losses and replace the printer... but read some reviews before purchasing another and find one that is well-recommended and definitely Vista-compatible...

Yeah, doesn't suprise me that it's been bad... another annoying thing about it is how big it is... so bulky!

Can you get your hands on another PC or laptop, to use to install your printer. Maybe it's the USB port or cable that's bad.
You want to make sure that the printer hasn't any error msgs displayed.
You do have the printer disconnected from your laptop when you install the drivers???

I probably can but i don't think anyone would appreciate me installing the driver... plus its a no downloading sort of situation... I am at a boarding school.

I've had the printer connected and disconnected... both have failed me!

Thanks for your help!

:)

redcow
05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
You arn't going to hurt anything. Just connect the printer and let the operating system find a driver.