PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 5: jamming

RandyW
05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
working on one of these printers that is jamming right at the transfer roller.

we replaced the fuser (which was worn) and the gear cluster assembly (broken gears). paper feeds in to the printer from either the paper tray or the bypass/mp tray and then stops at the transfer roller.

is that a sensor problem or main motor or controller board? very annoying!

redcow
05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Could be registration assembly

cs_steve
05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I've also seen this be something not-so-common: replaced the entire "paper input unit" and the problem went away...don't know why!

Yes it could be solenoid, sensors, registration assembly, DC controller...

But--I guess the best question is, Is it worth all the troubleshooting for an LJ5? I would almost say replace it with a fully-refurbished HP LaserJet 5 that already has a new fuser, new maintenance kit, new exit assembly, new pivot gear, etc. rather than guessing around as to what's causing this particular jam -- Because it could take hours to trouble-shoot .

RandyW
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
printer is working correctly now.

threw up a 57 main motor code. I think this was caused by a bent pin for one of the connectors for the paper feed unit (put in a good motor- still had code...noticed connector for the paper feed unit was not very securely attached and then saw bent pin). It looked like the drum cartridge may not have been turning still. So, I said to myself- these HPs don't normally act weird like this.

I took a look at the gear cluster assembly and noticed one of the screw holes didn't seem to line up correctly. Slid it out and put it back in the printer and made sure the holes and pins were in the correct position. This time the hole was lined up correctly. Printer was a bit quieter like normal and ran self test until it used up all the paper in the tray.

Keep It Simple Stupid.