PDA

View Full Version : Error Detected from Picture-Box

valleegirl
05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi:

I just got Quark 7x, and am trying to print a file with several picture boxes. It won't print to my LaserJet 8000, and I got the following error message:

Error Detected from Picture-Box
Error: undefined
OffendingCommand: get

So I isolated each item on a separate page, and they printed just fine. But when I try to print the page with everything on one page, it won't work. I can print a pdf, and print from the pdf, so I can't figure out what's wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

cs_steve
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I would try experimenting with downloading a couple different drivers for the LaserJet 8000 from HP.com and see if you don't get better results...

valleegirl
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi, Steve:

I downloaded the printer drivers, still not fixed. So I tried eliminating picture and text boxes one by one, with different error message showing up.

Error Detected from Picture-Box
Error: undefined
OffendingCommand: get

If I eliminate my logo file, I get:

Error Detected from Non-Object
Error: Undefined
OffendingCommand:

If I eliminate both files, I still get the Non-Object message.

So I started eliminating photo and text boxes one by one, and after eliminating 8 boxes, I finally got the first page (of two) to print.

Actually, pages print most of the time, but I get funny crop/hatch marks in the corners of the pages, and I also get a second blank page and a third page with the error message. When I pdf, it is fine, and I sent a high-res pdf to my client, which he sent to his printer, and I haven't heard any complaints, so the file seems to pdf fine.

Oh, and lastly, sometimes I get a page saying I am sending PostScript Level 3 to a PostScript Level 2 device, but I have been sending other files and not checking PostScript Level 2 in the Advanced box of any of my other Quark files, and they have been printing fine.

Whew, a designer has to be a diagnostic whiz BESIDES being a good designer. This is sooo tiring!

Any help you can give me? Thanks!

cs_steve
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I think you've found the problem ... unfortunately, Level 2 PostScript is the highest level of PostScript supported by the LaserJet 8000 model ...
Older printers & their accompanying drivers cannot interpret some of the new features found in PostScript Level 3.

I am not familiar with Quark 7x, so I don't know if you're losing any quality/features when you checkmark the Advanced "PostScript Level 2" option ...

If this PostScript incompatibility is a big problem for you and you're unable to print as you need to, you may want to consider upgrading your printer... the LaserJet 8150 is a good recent successor to the LaserJet 8000 and it does have Level 3 PostScript ...

Here is a link to examine that model: http://www.printertechs.com/printer/refurbished-hp-laserjet-8150.php

valleegirl
05-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Because I can print to that with no problem . . .

cs_steve
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, the Color LaserJet 8550 is Level 3 PostScript compatible...