PDA

View Full Version : HP 1200 Died

Deej256
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi people, Im having trouble with a HP 1200. I was not around when the crime was commited but I was told that a severe paper jam occured and a staff member was fairly violently ripping the paper through and gouging out the last bits with scissors.
Since then the unit will not power on. When you flick the master power swith the light flashes on for less than a second then shuts off, USB is not activated so I cannot troubleshoot on the computer end.
I have dismantled a fair bit of the unit and cannot find any broken switches or cut wires, the unit seems immaculate inside.
Are there any ways I can get some error feedback from the unit as these models are fairly counter-intuitive, with only 2 lights and one button.

We would love to get this unit working as we have many toners for it. Thankyou. Josh.

redcow
05-01-2008, 12:41 AM
There's no telling what the jerk did to the printer gears. I would have to assume that he/she didn't have the gray matter to 1st power the printer off. It maybe as simple as a blown fuse. I have a feeling that it will make a fine paperweight, it's too light for a boat anchor.

allen6368
05-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Please perform the following steps:

1. Ensure there is no paper jammed in the media path.
2. Open the Top Cover and look for any small pieces of media that may be stuck in the printer.
3. Remove the Rear Feeder/Duplexer and check for media particles. Remove any paper stuck in the media path.
4. Close the Top Cover and then turn off the printer.
5. Wait for two minutes and then turn on the printer.

See if you get it fixed

Big Al
05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
This happens to quite a few of the machines I work on. I like to shake the machine well, turning it over and tipping it on end to hear if anything is loose and bouncing around.

Big Al

cs_steve
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
My two cents would be to replace the printer with another LaserJet 1200...
This printer was probably overdue for a maintenance kit since this all started because the printer was having paper jam issues...although it is unfortunate you probably would have been putting some money into printer maintenance soon anyway...

From your description, it sounds like the power supply is shorting out or formatter is fried...but it's hard to say anything without having the printer in hand and trading parts until the problem is fixed...

When you add the cost of paying a technician's labor, the cost of a maintenance kit, and the cost of a new power supply or formatter (whatever the problem part may be)...you might as well get another HP 1200 printer

You can still get these HP 1200 printers available refurbished and continue using same toners....
Example:
http://www.printertechs.com/printer/refurbished-hp-laserjet-1200.php