PDA

View Full Version : 4250 DC Cont.

MichaelTech
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I keep getting these that have been in a network printer, and this unit is not.
Hence, the "NAND size, EEPROM not found" error.
Is there a way to wipe the NVRAM on a DC Cont., and let the formatter write to it? Even HP sends me ones that do this error even when specifically told I want a non-network one. I know, the end solution is to just put in a network formatter, but the user does not need or want it.
Another issue is the P/U assy. gets stuck after one page out. I have replaced, and re-seated the P/U drive assy., and wonder if it may not be in alignment correctly. There is a rotating cam that operates the P/U roller shaft assy. that is where it is sticking. any ideas?

Big Al
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you need Tier 3 level assistance. HP should have a rep assigned to your area. If he/she cannot help you then ask for a tier 3 contact and they will set you up. The times I have called they were very helpful. Any authorized HP repair facility should be able to put you in touch with the rep.

Big Al

MichaelTech
04-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanx Al, but I am the ASP, and have tried to escalate this issue.
No response yet, so I'll check back at HP with the case # I have.:cool:

ptjeff1
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Michael -- any luck with HP on finding out how to reset the NVRAM on the DC Controller? Did they tell you there was a way but wouldn't divulge the info?

Anyone who finds out how to reset the NVRAM on the DC controller, speak up, let us know.

MichaelTech
06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I usually figure everything out within a few minutes of observance.
There's the key:Observance. I did not notice the paper tray flag was sticking.
The roller shaft assy. would lift, and then stick. Faulty P/U drive? No.
Shifting away from the DC cont. issue, I suspected the sensor for the paper flag was out of place, but no, it was the large spring that actuates the roller shaft return. Fell side-ways under the black plastic cover.
Could'nt see it untill I pulled the entire assy.
Bang-a-rang! Solved!
Still had to give customer a network formatter. No big deal. :cool:

ptjeff1
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
But did HP give you any indication as to how to reset the NVRAM on the DC controller?
My understanding is that they need to send a firmware file that is serial number dependent, but I could be wrong on that.

redcow
06-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Is this what you need?

To Initialize NVRAM on LJ4240, 4250 or LJ4350:

Turn the printer power off.
Remove any installed accessories (for example, stapler/stacker).
For HP Laserjet 4250/4350 Series Printers: Turn the printer power on, and then press ▲ (the UP arrow) when the memory count begins.
Continue holding down ▲ (the UP Arrow) until all three printer control panel lights flash once and then remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.
Press ▼ (the DOWN Arrow) button.
Press the Menu button. The display should show FULL NVRAM INIT
Press √ (Select button). The printer initializes NVRAM and then continues its power-on sequence.

ptjeff1
06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work. I've tried all the combinations that I could find on the net and there doesn't seem to be a way to reset the NVRAM on the 4250N. The service manual seems to be wrong.

ptjeff1
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Got it. The key here is that there is no Menu button on the Laserjet 4250/4350. Some people are referring to the Pause/Resume button as the Menu button and the Job Cancel button as the Stop button. Also the service manual is wrong on the NVRAM init. procedure.

Anyways,
Press the down arrow button when memory counts.
When the three LED's are lit solid, press the up arrow.
Then press the Pause/Resume button.

NVRAM Initialization is an option, although it didn't change anything or clear the usage page stats.

We also found another hidden service menu, although nothing seemed useful and I think you could really mess things up if you start playing with this menu.

So far I can count 4 different "hidden menus" on the 4250. One for the selecting language and other options, one for re-initializing a hard drive or permanent storage, one for the NVRAM initialization and other stuff, and another menu for more stuff you shouldn't play around with. Guess that's why they're hidden.

ty cobb
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
hope this one helps..........

To initialize NVRAM
1 Turn the printer power off.
2 Remove any installed accessories (for example, a stapler/stacker).
3 For HP Laserjet 4200/4300 Series printers: Hold down ( SELECT button), and then turn the
printer power on.
For HP Laserjet 4250/4350 Series printers: Turn the printer power on, and then hold down
(SELECT button) when the memory count begins.
4 Continue holding down until all three printer control-panel lights flash once and then remain
on. This might take up to 10 seconds.
5 Press ( UP ARROW button).
6 Press the PAUSE/RESUME button (LJ 4200/4300) or the MENU button (LJ 4250/4350). The display
should show SKIP DISK LOAD.
7 Press until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.
8 Press . The printer initializes NVRAM and then continues its power-on sequence.

ty cobb
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
while replacing either dc contoller or formatter.let the printer ON for even 5 minutes to allow those files to be transfered. in my own opinion after replacing formatter or the dc controller the printer was turned off, this causes those files where not fully transfrered.

ptjeff1
06-26-2008, 09:47 AM
As I mentioned previously the service manual is wrong. First there isn't a menu button on the 4250, second the sequence of buttons you hold down is wrong - I've tested it, I'm not making this up.

Press the DOWN arrow button when memory counts.
When the three LED's are lit solid, press the UP arrow.
Then press the Pause/Resume button.

redcow
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
The text that I put in came from the "LJ4250/4350 NVRAM Initialization(Service Manual Correction) white paper."

redcow
06-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Hey, I stumbled across this while I was in between banging my head against a wall swapping out mucho formatters in a 4350tn. It's nice to know information. The part numbers listed have probably been updated. The last 5 digits might be different.

Board Changing on the latest LaserJets
KS28/7/05 –Rev 1.2

The latest range of LaserJets typically have one Formatter which covers all the models in that family. The model number in these cases is backed up by either the DC Controller/ECU Board or a Firmware Dimm, depending on the product. Change only one board at a time, and in each case wait 5 minutes for NVRAM information to be transferred across.

Changing the Formatter and the “backup board” at the same time can result in the printer downgrading to the slowest model in that family. These boards should also NOT be returned to stock once they have been in a printer, since they will no longer be neutralised stock items but have a model assigned to them.

For most of the models below there are two Formatters, a networked version with embedded JetDirect and a standard version without JetDirect. In some cases the Embedded JetDirect can “disappear” if the JDI installed bit is not set. In these cases a PJL upgrade will be required.

If a downgrade does occur then the call will need to be escalated to hp Hardcopy Support. In these cases a special pjl file with specific serial number information will need to be obtained from division, so that it can be sent to the printer in question to restore it to its original status.

LaserJet 4250 & 4350 – can lose Speed and Embedded JetDirect
Never change the Formatter and DC Controller at the same time, otherwise the printer will adopt the identity of the slowest product (i.e. a LJ4250). Firmware for these products is onboard the Formatter. Part numbers are:

Formatter PCA (networked with embedded JetDirect) Q3652-69004
Formatter PCA (non-networked base model) Q3653-69004
DC Controller PCA RM1-1108-060CN

Disabling Embedded JetDirect: same as for the LJ2420/2430.

LaserJet 2420 & 2430 – can lose Speed, Duplex and Embedded JetDirect

Disabling Embedded JetDirect: Power on printer. Waiting for memory count to start then press and hold the green SELECT (tick) button until all 3 LEDs are on solid. Press up/down until EMBEDDED LAN DISABLE appears. Note this menu also has COLD RESET and LANGUAGE selection.

ptjeff1
06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
In these cases a special pjl file with specific serial number information will need to be obtained from division, so that it can be sent to the printer in question to restore it to its original status.I suspect this is also the only way to change the DC Controller page count so that it can match the original page count on the formatter. As it is, the DC Controller always seems to overwrite the formatter's page count.

If anyone has the code for the PJL file, please post.

MichaelTech
06-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Sorry I have been layed up for a week. All better now!
This issue with getting a "file" from HP seems to be non-existant. they deny it ever was, and it is a red herring.
Once a DC has been coupled with a network Formatter, it is written forever.
"disable network" does not work, as the error "nand size, Eprom missing" still generates. I have discovered that we get "new DC's from a third party, not HP. This is the problem. Parts is parts to these people, they do not care what your request is. Customer is now happy, and the unit is trouble free.

prntrfxr
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I think NVRAM reset only resets NVRAM in formatter. There is no way to write to DC CONTROLLER.