PDA

View Full Version : MFC-240C Hindering Startup

Blake101
04-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm having an issue with a MFC-240C Brother printer. USB connection to an HP low-pro desktop.

Symptoms: When plugged in, normal operation, computer passes startup tests, then displays "Disk Error" in the upper left hand corner of an all black screen.

Diagnosis: After seeing the media card slots being recognized as drives in the bootable device menu in BIOS, I thought the issue may be directly related to BIOS. Assumed Flashing the BIOS from rev 1.7 to 1.8 would remedy.

Issue: After flashing the bios, the printers media card drives are still being seen as bootable devices that default (regardless of changing the boot order) to the first boot device, does anyone know if there is a possible firmware update or change to the hardwares config that can fix this? Thanks

Blake101
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Ammendment: Just an FYI. I got a message directing me to a support document. Stated by the manufacturer that this model of printer, the media card slots will be recognized as a bootable device. [Called Brother Support to confirm]

So, unless your BIOS has the feature to disable bootable devices, vendor stated that the solution is to unplug the printer prior to startup.

Not a good solution in my opinion... but if anyone finds out something new, feel free to let me know.