PDA

View Full Version : Laserjet 4m on line button is red

jpayv
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Connected laserjet printer using all three ports (one at a time) but printer on line button turns red a startup. Did test print and prints ok. did reset and no change. If I press on line button light goes out taking printer off line so I can access printer menus. Printer will not communicate with computer. Any Ideas:confused:

Manuals
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Check the Jetdirect card. Is it a 615n?

Paul@justmanuals.com

redcow
04-08-2008, 01:14 AM
The 4m is just a 4 with a Mac interface.
print a 'config' page.

See if it shows what you are connected to.

MichaelTech
04-09-2008, 05:11 PM
The four series does not use a small JD card. You need a J4106A.
Set it up with the parallel and see if you get the error.

cs_steve
04-09-2008, 10:27 PM
My guess is you do not have the IP address information configured correctly for the JetDirect card...Print a Configuration page--make sure the JetDirect card shows up as being installed, then try to Ping the IP address printed on the Configuration page...

If you're not familiar with setting up JetDirect cards/network printers, read this tutorial: http://www.printertechs.com/tech/tutorials/networking/networking1.php

If you do get the card set up correctly with an appropriate IP address and still cannot communicate, this would indicate a failing JetDirect card... But much more likely is that the card is just not properly configured...

jpayv
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the responds. Ran config. and it shows-J2341b localtalk,firmware rev. A.00.02,Network # 0, node #128 and appletalk name laserjet4. I/0 card ready. tried to find I/0 menu but display does not show one. If Deskjet card is bad can i hook up through parallel port with my mac computer?

redcow
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
yes you can.

jpayv
04-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Tried to connect through parrallel port but still no connection. unable to find MIO menu on printer display. config. page does not show ip address for jetdirect card. online light is red, is this a problem with the formatter?

MichaelTech
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Swap the JD card with a known good one.
Use the din plug to connect to the mac. {That's what it's for}
No MIO menu if it does not see a card.

cs_steve
04-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Just an FYI jpayv,

It sounds like you might believe that the red color of the Online LED is some type of error message in itself--however this red color is the only color for the LED (it never turns green) and it simply means the printer is Online and ready to receive data from the computer. Pressing Online will de-illuminate the LED and take it to Offline mode where you can access the printer menus. It is normal for it to be red.