PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on InkJet printer

satimis
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi folks,

I'm now shopping an economic all-in-on Photo InkJet printer, including printing and scanner, (faxing being optional) preferrable Cannon. There are many of them available on computer shop. It won't be easy for me to decide. I only print and scan occasionally, heavy duty being NOT a MUST. The printer shall be used on Windows machine as well as Linux machine.

Suggestion and comment would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
satimis

redcow
04-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Before buying, make sure the printer has LINUX drivers. Check that...make sure LINUX has the printer drivers.

Windose drivers are easy. Go to a forum for the LINUX that you are running and ask about your future printers' drivers. You'll get plenty of help there.

satimis
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Before buying, make sure the printer has LINUX drivers. Check that...make sure LINUX has the printer drivers.

Windose drivers are easy. Go to a forum for the LINUX that you are running and ask about your future printers' drivers. You'll get plenty of help there.

Thanks for your advice.

HP has full support on Linux printer driver and scanner driver. I'm sure as I'm running HP Deskjet 5740 on Ubuntu and Archlinux here w/o problem. For Canon printer its installation on Linux box is a pain. Finally it can be solved with heavy effort injected.

What is the deficiency of HP printers is to print namecards. HP printers are feeding paper horizontally. They have problem on intaking namecard sheet. I have to give it a push with hand. But the printing postion differs on the pressure of the push. Some Canon models have vertical feeding device. They may intake paper correctly without a push. For such a reason I start turning to Canon and other makers whose printers are designed with vertical feeding of paper.

Are you aware which model of HP printers can solve this problem? I made several enquiries to computer shops before. Most opinion advised me looking for printers with vertical paper feeding.

TIA

B.R.
satimis