PDA

View Full Version : LaserJer 4730 no color

Chris
03-06-2008, 10:20 PM
We've got an almost new LJ-4730. Up until yesterday it was doing fine. All cartridges have plenty of toner, but the colors print exceedingly thin. I recalibrated the printer yesterday and printed the demo fine, but later on it reverted back to the same problem. Not sure where to go from here.

cs_steve
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
How does printing quality compare when you run a configuration page or some other test page directly from the printer menu, rather than sending it a job from the computer?

If the quality is fine from the printer menu, but poor quality when a job comes from the computer, you might reinstall the printer driver from HP.com to ensure the driver has not been changed/corrupted.

Also look at the Transfer Kit assembly ... could be dirty or ? ...

Also just because the toners are fairly full does not necessarily mean they might not be defective/failing...

I assume the printer is still under warranty.

Chris
03-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. The print quality is bad regardless of the file source. I was able to get the quality up to speed yesterday after a printer calibration run, but it did not stick. With that, I'm ruling out the already unlikely simultaneous failure of all three color cartridges. Does the black toner run through the same transfer / fuser process as the color toner? It prints B&W fine. There is no loose toner or streaking, just very, very washed out color.
And yes, the printer is under warranty, but is in the middle of Iraq so getting a service call is, uh, problematic.

redcow
03-08-2008, 12:33 AM
What brand are the toner cartridges?

Chris
03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Redcow, they are HP cartridges. Found what appears to be the answer. It was recomended that the transfer kit door be closed with some, uh, enthusiasm. I am loathe to slam anything on what I consider a delicate and complicated piece of machinary, but I did apply a bit of "umph" in closing the transfer kit door. Voila!, color.

Not what I consider a textbook answer, and one I hate to share with your typical user, but it worked.