PDA

View Full Version : Usb 2.0

Mavis
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
If a printer interface description is USB 2.0 can the printer still be used with USB 1.1? Also would an Epson DX4400 be too much for Windows 98/SE OP, with a 20GB HD and 128 RAM? Trying to find a printer for my grandchildren as their's has broken down (C46) and wondered whether to get them an all-in-one. Much appreciate any help. Mavis in Greater Manchester

s3ttr
03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
If a printer interface description is USB 2.0 can the printer still be used with USB 1.1? Also would an Epson DX4400 be too much for Windows 98/SE OP, with a 20GB HD and 128 RAM? Trying to find a printer for my grandchildren as their's has broken down (C46) and wondered whether to get them an all-in-one. Much appreciate any help. Mavis in Greater Manchester

I have a Canon PIXMA MP530. It does not come with a USB cable in the box, so you have to supply one yourself. We had/have a Brother MFC 9600, and it is about 9 years old and came with a USB Cable. We use the same USB cable to print from both printers. Works fine with the newer Canon. The USB cable plugs into the back of the PC.

Windows XP gives a message when you first turn the printer on. It says something to the effect of "I have found a new hardware device and we can make this go faster" then displays some default drivers and references, "USB 2.0." From the lower right corner Windows XP offers a default type prompt that lists their standard USB driver 2.0 (which is dated near 2001-2002). I just select the top on the list and double click it, and even if I click the other options, it still works.

I think they call it "backwards compatibility," which means, essentially USB 2.0 code is built on top of the USB 1.1 foundation. Newer printers are designed for the USB 2.0, but they also run USB 1.1 or any version number under 2.0.

USB 1.1 code is contained in USB 2.0 drivers. Sometimes you might hear a coder say .... USB 2.0 is "wrapped around" the previous code, which in this case is USB 1.1. Its like taking your ranch house and building a loft on top of the main structure. The upper level will use more modern materials and ideologies during the construction. It will have better insulation and the exterior will be new, but your old ranch house is still there under it, and supporting it.

And the short answer: YES
:D

s3ttr
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Sidenote: Windows 98 and Windows XP are different creatures. But it should still work. That said, some of the features might not work as well on win98 as they would on XP or vista, but their USB 1.1 drivers for win98 are pretty basic. By this I mean simple and reliable believe it or not.

I have seen now where you can get 'new' versions of XP Home Edition for 79$ or less. Also you can buy used disks at a used software store, that buys and resells original disk software with the Windows logo and valid authentication numbers on the cd case, etc. Totally legitimate. Used software stores exist in many large metro regions. I think even stores like GameStop resell used software. Some used book stores and used music stores sell used software too. You can get a good working version of some software this way. 15-20$

Something to keep that in mind as a fall back position.

Harddrives are also coming down in price. You can get 120GB for under 39$ new at many stores today. Bestbuy and Circuit city etc.

If you bought a new internal disk drive, you can install it yourself. It is simpler than you might think. Just open your pc box and look at the cable that connects to your present hard drive. This is called an IDE cable. Its a wide cable and flat, that routes in 2 feet or less to the motherboard. There is usually another connection implanted in the cable. It is ready for a second drive. Plug it in and then plug in a second cable to give it power (also inside the pc box, there are extra power plug-ins ready for a second drive). Just use one that looks similar to the one that plugs into the back of the current drive. Thats it. Total time, 12 minutes. 28 minutes depending on if you decide to tinker and look around in there at everything else. Make sure you turn off your pc before you do this, then you can turn it on when you have made those two connections. Put the cover on after you are satisfied it works. Then you can install windows XP on the new drive while preserving your win98 installation.

XP will work on 20GBs, but it is better to have a bigger disk if you upgrade to windows.

s3ttr
03-08-2008, 07:29 AM
For my box, the whole side panel slides off by applying gentle pressure to force either panel (or both panels) against the frame while pushing the one panel itself, toward the rear. I use open hand pressure and finger tips spread wide to snug the panel against the internal frame while gently pushing the panel to the rear of the unit. Its like a medicine cap you have to push down while turning, only here you have to push the panel into the frame and then push it back at the same time, to engage the releasing mechanism or get the panel to release itself from the internal framing. You put the panel on in the opposite fashion. Gentle pressure, steer or guide it into place.

People think that since they do not understand how to code, that they shouldn't being doing simple tasks like installing a new hard disk. Its as easy as pie once you figure out how to take the panel off the side of your box. Not daunting at all. Simple.

redcow
03-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Mavis, some of these forum members don't process what they read, and then they get carried away with the answer.

In answer to Your question, yes the DX 4400 will work with 98se.
One of the differences with USB 1.1 and 2.0 is speed. Email Epson support to make sure if the printer will do what you want with USB 1.1