PDA

View Full Version : HP L7680 Unable to install on Vista - Printer not working

Lee Green
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I have just purchased a new HP All in one L7680 and I am running vista hoem premium. I have followed the guide word for word and when promted to plug in usb i then get a message saying device detected waiting for setup to finish. The next button stays faint and after waiting 5 or so mins i then only have the option to tick the box and continue installation. The printer software continues to install fine but the printer fails to work, I then returned the printer and got another one but having the same issues, I have diabled norton and windows firewall.
When i look at device manager you can see the printer and the error message says 'This device is not configured properly (code 1)' I have also downloaded from HP website just incase the disk was damaged but still no luck. Works fine on my Macbook pro?

Thanks to anyone with any help, cant get hold of hp tech until monday
Lee
Any Ideas, Thank you
Lee

Brenda
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Lee,

I have just purchased an L7780 and can't install it on my Dell running Windows XP. I have spent about 10 hours on HP chat and hours with Dell and 6 different technicians can't help. I have tried everything. The Dell technician even helped me reformat, reinstall all the drivers and install windows XP Professional. It should be like a new computer.

I did find though, that when I installed to my Dell Laptop, installation went fine and the printer worked like a charm.

As soon as I try my desktop, I get installation and printing problems.

I'd be interested to know if you found any solutions as Dell and HP have given up on me.

Thanks,
Brenda

contink
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok... I can't guarantee this will help but it's worth a try.

Uninstall all the rubbish that HP tried to install the first time around and then try the following.

1. Go get the full driver from HP (version 8.0.1 at time of writing)
2. Get 7zip utility if you don't have it installed already.
3. Use 7zip to expand the HP driver exe and extract it to a folder you can find
4. Navigate to the "Printers & Faxes" folder and click the "Add a printer"
5. Select "Local printer" and make sure "Automatically detect... " is unticked
6. If you're using USB identify the port it's using (usually USB001) and choose that from the "Use following port:..." list.

6a. If you're using it over your LAN/Network, choose the "Create a new port" option "Standard TCP/IP Port"... NOT "HP Standard TCP/IP Port"
6b. Click next, next again...
6c. Input the IP address for your printer (you can find out what it is from the printer if you don't already know - RTFM)
6d. Click next
6e. It should ID your printer as an "HP Jet Direct" or similar device type but if not select this and next.
6f. Click finish

[You should now be at the stage of selecting your printer driver]
7. Choose "Have Disk..."
8. Click Browse and navigate to the folder you expanded/extracted your HP driver exe to.
9. You may have an x32 folder in it... open it... if not see 10.
10. select autorun.inf (look for it if you can't see it here)
11. Click open.
12. Click OK
13. Select your model printer

... from this point on it's common sense... allow the printer driver to be installed (ie: hit continue if Windows complains it's not signed, etc..) and with a little luck you should be able to use your printer at long last.

As I said this might work, it might not, but as a rule I no longer use the HP exe to directly install the printer because it has so many bits of utter useless c**p in it. That and it doesn't like certain drivers in my machines (eg: Highpoint RAID card drivers - they have the same driver name somewhere FFS :()

Hope that helps... and good luck..