PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 4000n constant paper jam errors

Zachary
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi,
I bought a HP Laserjet 4000n off ebay and it works fine enough except for one thing and that is that it will give me paper jam errors every time I try to print something. I pull the sheet out of the specified area and the document prints fine, usually. i've tried to troubleshoot this, drycleaned the rubber rollers an such, and checked the sensors on the fuser, as suggested at HP.com, none of which works. How can I fix this, if at all?
Printer stats:
HP Laserjet 4000n, 8mb memory, 500 sheet paper tray, connected to computer via the parallel port.

redcow
01-25-2008, 12:50 AM
First of all - replace the rollers.
Just where is this specified area that you are pulling paper out of?
Run a Configuration and look at the event log. Pay attention to the error codes, and list them in your next 'reply'.
Also look at the 'Pages Since Last Maintenance = xxxx'

Zachary
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
The areas are the paper tray and at the rear door:
Last three entries for error codes:
Number | Error | Page count

30 | 13.20.30 | 0
29 | 13.20.30 | 125838
28 | 13.1 50 | 125838

Pages since last maintenance: 125840, this is also the page count #

Zachary
01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh and also, it prints the Config and Menu Map pages just fine with no errors before, during, or immediately after the print job, but if I leave it be for a little while it will randomly go from "Ready" to "Paper Jam" either in the paper tray or the rear door

cs_steve
01-25-2008, 11:36 PM
2 suggestions:

1. Replace the 2 feed/separation rollers RF5-1885.
2. Check the fuser flag on the center top of the fuser's "hinged gate" ... it's probably either broken or out of place...

Zachary
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I just purchased new rollers, I'll let you know how it goes when they arrive, also, if what you're referring to is this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=25474&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25474&objectID=bpl03837
Then I've already checked that and all seems good

redcow
01-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure of your terminology...it prints the Config and Menu Map pages just fine with no errors before, during, or immediately after the print job, but if I leave it be for a little while it will randomly go from "Ready" to "Paper Jam"

Does that mean that the printer is just sitting there doing nothing and the error pops up? or are you printing and you get the error?

Zachary
01-27-2008, 06:59 AM
It's just sitting there displaying "Ready" with the "Ready" light on, then randomly, with me not printing anything, the rear door paper jam error comes up and the red attention light flashes until I open the rear door and pull the sheet out.
However after I printed the config page this error wasn't displayed nor did it come up there after, when I turned off the printer at night (it's in my room and the light from the display keeps my awake...) it still said "Ready" but when I print something off my PC, if it doesn't display the error immediately then the result is that described above.

cs_steve
01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
"the red attention light flashes until I open the rear door and pull the sheet out."

So to clear the error, you are removing a sheet from the rear door area every time? Where is the paper stuck-- inside the fuser?

BTW have you checked the paper size settings? Make sure it's not set for something slighty larger than Letter and pulling an extra sheet...

Zachary
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
That is correct, the only time I get a paper jam in the tray is when I'm actually in the middle of printing something, otherwise it's always in the rear door, the paper is stuck in the fuser and protrudes from it maybe 1.5-2 inches, like it's getting ready to go out through the top of the printer like a page I just printed.
As for paper size settings, all looks snug in the paper tray, are the settings specified in the menu?
I bought a new roller assembly and can buy a new fuser if absolutely necessary, but since I'm not getting any fuser errors I don't think that's the case, is it?

redcow
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Wait a minute,
"It's just sitting there displaying "Ready" with the "Ready" light on, then randomly, with me not printing anything, the rear door paper jam error comes up and the red attention light flashes until I open the rear door and pull the sheet out."
If you're just sitting there 'with me not printing anything', how does a sheet of paper get to the rear door?

You don't need a printer technician, you need an exorcist!!!

Zachary
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
It's very strange indeed but from what I've noticed it pulls the sheet there after printing something, whenever I do try printing something a blank page will come out first unless I've manually removed it from the rear door prior.

Edit: Took this picture to illustrate what I mean, the printer is off and it's been like this ever since I printed the Configuration page
http://pics.sangwara.info/images/A_8/5/6/2/12658/DSC00403_e73da.JPG

cs_steve
01-31-2008, 08:32 AM
1. I suggest trying a Cold Reset: power off, hold the "Go" button as you power back on, wait for "Cold Reset" to appear on screen...(this restores factory defaults for all paper size settings, etc.)...however if you have a JetDirect card pull that out first as Cold Reset will reset your network settings...

2. Also you might try reinstalling your driver, download a genuine HP PCL5 driver from HP.com rather than Microsoft's built-in driver for Windows...

Zachary
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I tried doing the Cold Restart, it didn't solve the problem, and I've already updated my driver to HP.com's
I'll wait for my rollers to come and see what happens

Saratoga1
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I have had your issue multiple times getting errors 13.1 and 13.2 etc. If you take out the feed roller from the paper tray(s), and then slide off the unit behind it (small coupling) - open the coupling by removing the light colored side with a small screwdriver and you will be able to remove the magnetized center. You will see lots of magnetic shavings around the magnet. Take a paper towel or your fingers and remove approximately 1/2 of the shavings and discard them. Reassemble the coupling, reinstall and reinstall fresh rollers if available - if not just rough them up with a sharp knife until they can be replaced.

Test by running a paper path test from each tray you have and see if this helps!

Good luck!

Big Al
10-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Fuser errors usually tell you that the heater is not working properly. Is this machine noisy? These are famous for bad bushings in the fuser.
This can put drag on the motor and cause jam indications.

Al