PDA

View Full Version : hp5m memory upgrade?

mediasponge
01-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I tried adding some 72 pin SIMMs to the hp5m, and it did not recognize them at all, or even recognize that they were in the system. The printer has 2MB built in, it has another 4MB in 2 slots, one of which also has the Postscript on it, and 2 open slots. Adding a regular PC SIMM (yes, I know they are old, but they work) was not recognized by the printer. Does it have to be HP-specific memory? The SIMM I was adding was 16MB, 60NS. Powering up and printing the test page showed no change in memory size. There were no front panel errors either. :confused:

I want to upgrade because sometimes we get Postscript out of memory errors, and 6MB is rather small.

MichaelTech
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
You may be using EDO memory which will not work. Check the simm that is in there for either 60 or 70ns.

mediasponge
01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info. After digging a little more, it seems that the HP wants non-parity FPM memory, which is not the style most PCs used as main memory. In my case, the PC memory SIMMs have chips in multiples of 9, which indicates parity. The original HP 2MB SIMMs have 4 chips, and some I've seen on the web have 8 or 16 chips, which indicates non-parity. The 16 MB HP part is C3146A, which is still available from some suppliers, perhaps in an aftermarket form, if not the original HP part. Doing a Google search for HP printer memory or C3146A yields many results. Example:

http://www.memoryx.net/c4146a.html