PDA

View Full Version : Physically locking a printer down

scragman
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I work at a small university that provides 'free' printing to the students. We have provided them with a lab and an old HP 5si (that thing is a tank). The problem we are experiencing is that students, at night when there is no one on duty in the lab, are opening the printer and stealing the paper. We've been going through about four or more reams of paper per week. We know they are stealing it as we have gone through very little toner for the printer.

So we've decided that we need to some how physically lock the printer up so that someone can't open the trays and take out the paper without having a key or something. Anybody know of anything like this? It wouldn't have to be too elaborate, just something to keep the honest people honest (I imagine that anyone with some determination and a hacksaw/dremel could get past most any security measure). Thanks in advance!

redcow
01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Take the the paper out at nite.
I'm serious, if these thieves want to ruin the lab for everyone, so be it, Just make sure that the users know why there is no paper in the printer at nite.
Or else mount a camera in the room.

Manuals
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
'Or else mount a camera in the room.'

Good idea, it doesn't even have to be hooked up, just run a wire into the ceiling and put a sign up that the camera is there.

HtH
Paul@justmanuals.com