PDA

View Full Version : HP 5Si tray1 lifter

rich
12-23-2007, 08:19 AM
This machine fails to operate the lifting mechanism when asked to print from Tray1 in the paper path test mode. I have replaced the complete tray1 mech with no result. I have also replaced the DC controller PCA without success. I have also checked the cableform between the PCA and the tray connector. When monitoring the voltage fed to the lifter solenoid it dips momentarily when asked to take paper from Tray1 . All other trays work perfectly. Both replacement items have been removed from another printer. Is it likely that the same fault may be present on the other machine? It has other problems so I have decided to cannibalise it for spares. Has anyone got any ideas please?

I have not deleted this post as the solution may be useful. I disassembled the whole gearbox and clutch assembly on Tray1. The small white gear cluster operated on by the solenoid was very sticky and stiff. After giving the whole mechanism a good clean and then wiping some spare grease on the shafts and making sure that everything moved easily it was reassembled.
Since then I have not had a single failure to pick up paper from Tray1.

ptjeff1
12-24-2007, 01:44 PM
The small white gear cluster operated on by the solenoid was very sticky and stiff.

Yep, this is quite common with this assembly.