PDA

View Full Version : HP LaserJet 1500L Problems

Rick
12-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I am having problems with another HP 1500L. When you turn the printer on, all the lights on the Control Panel light up for a split-second and then go out. The printer goes ahead through the calibration cycle, but when complete, no lights are on.

Also, any computer connected to the printer does not detect it and will not communicate. Needless to say, the printer will not print.

I have also tried to reset the printer using the GO and Job Reset buttons, but it does not reset the printer.

Have any ideas???

raz
12-19-2007, 02:10 AM
will it print an engine test?button is in the upper left frame inside tray 1.engine test would print from the last tray used on a regular print job.if it prints ,i would think that it is something with the formatter ,something installed on it,/firmware.if not,possibly a power supply issue.maybe overcurrent and a circuit tripping.is it plugged directly into a wall socket?

Rick
12-19-2007, 09:14 AM
will it print an engine test?button is in the upper left frame inside tray 1.engine test would print from the last tray used on a regular print job.if it prints ,i would think that it is something with the formatter ,something installed on it,/firmware.if not,possibly a power supply issue.maybe overcurrent and a circuit tripping.is it plugged directly into a wall socket?
I can't locate the engine test button to try that, but when you turn it off and then turn it on, the control panel lights come on for a split second,then they go off, and the fan comes on. Then it goes into its' calibration tests, carousel turns through all its' stages (this lasts for a few minutes), and then everything stops. It is plugged directly to a wall socket and it's getting power constantly (you can open and close the top cover and hear a click with each). Also, no computer will recognize it through the USB.

Rick
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I can't locate the engine test button to try that, but when you turn it off and then turn it on, the control panel lights come on for a split second,then they go off, and the fan comes on. Then it goes into its' calibration tests, carousel turns through all its' stages (this lasts for a few minutes), and then everything stops. It is plugged directly to a wall socket and it's getting power constantly (you can open and close the top cover and hear a click with each). Also, no computer will recognize it through the USB.Raz, I found the test button and it does print when that is pressed (all colors visible). Know anything else to try that will help isolate the problem? It seems as if the control panel is bad or everything that feeds to it.

raz
12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
it seems like the power supply is working ;the control panel lights are controlled by the formatter /firmware.if you press the go and job cancel buttons,does it print a configuration page?

you could pop off the right side cover and look at the underside of the control panel and see if everything is in place.the bottom of the control panel pretty much just sets on the formatter.i would say the issue is with the formatter/firmware.if you want to try to cold reset the printer then;press and hold the go button,turn the printer on and continue to hold the go button.after the lower 3 led's come on,continue holding go for between 5 and 15 seconds,then release.

similiarly,you could try an nv ram initialization.do the same steps as cold reset ,except when the lower led's come on,continue holding go for a bit longer.at least 20 seconds.

Rick
12-20-2007, 01:12 PM
it seems like the power supply is working ;the control panel lights are controlled by the formatter /firmware.if you press the go and job cancel buttons,does it print a configuration page?

you could pop off the right side cover and look at the underside of the control panel and see if everything is in place.the bottom of the control panel pretty much just sets on the formatter.i would say the issue is with the formatter/firmware.if you want to try to cold reset the printer then;press and hold the go button,turn the printer on and continue to hold the go button.after the lower 3 led's come on,continue holding go for between 5 and 15 seconds,then release.

similiarly,you could try an nv ram initialization.do the same steps as cold reset ,except when the lower led's come on,continue holding go for a bit longer.at least 20 seconds.

Thanks Raz. I've tried the cold reset and the nv ram initialization, but neither have made any change. I've tried to print a config page by pressing Go and Job Cancel, but no response (no lights, no indications of anything). How do I test the formatter/firmware? Should that be the next step? Thanks for all the help so far!