PDA

View Full Version : HP LJ9040 won't print envelopes

scragman
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been fighting with an HP 9040dn for a while now, and I'm at my wits end. I've specified (in the printers tray configuration) that Tray 1 has #10 envelopes loaded. I've also set these settings on the PC (right clicked on the printer, device settings [or at least thats what I think the tab was labeled], set tray 1 to have #10 envelopes). From Microsoft Word, I create an envelope, tell Word to print it from tray 1, and click print.

The printer then prints from Tray 2.

If I tell Word to automatically select a tray to print envelopes from, the print will notify me that I have the wrong sized paper in tray 1 (which is loaded with envelopes and configured for envelopes) and attempt to reset the tray to having Letter sized paper.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

raz
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
normally,if in the printer's paper handling menu,it is set to first mode.it should try to pull from tray 1 first,and will try to pull from another tray if the type/size media that is requested is not in that tray or that tray is empty.that being tray 1.and if tray 1 is set to any type/size,and a job is requested for a certain type of media there,it will stop and prompt you to put that size in tray 1 if it does not find it there;from what you are saying,it sounds like it is configured correctly,but from the way it's acting,it seems like there is a conflict with the size/type settings between the driver and printer.in any case ,double check the printing defaults(printing preferences),on the paper/quality tab(this varies from driver to driver),and see what the settings are there,according to what you are selecting from properties/ device settings or the application.and what they are on the printer paper handling menu.it is best if they can match as much as possible.

selecting the cassette mode in the paper handling menu will then treat tray 1 like the other trays.this can be helpful depending on the way you set your trays.if there is an exclusive setting there;this would cause it to pull from the requested tray only no matter what,even if the requested tray were empty,it would,nt pull from any other.i don't know if this particular printer has the exclusively option or not.

make sure the guides in the tray are snug on the envelope/paper,or it may be reading a different size.