PDA

View Full Version : 4100n - 'printer not found'...suggestions?

swee'pea
09-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I've been struggling to instal a new (old) printer on our wee LAN and getting nowhere fast. I've run the wizards both in the instal prog downloaded from the HP site and the standard Windows (XP) one (needless to say, plug 'n play failed to find it), but whatever I do I just get 'not found' messages. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.

It's a little LAN built around a Belkin router with 4 ports onthe back. One's to my pooter, one's to my colleague's, and we already have a Canon printer installed on one of t'others. I just attached an HP LJ 4100N to t'other, and the router seems to recognise it - the little orange light comes on - but like I say, all attempts to install it, whether by finding it ('cannot locate') browsing to it (can't see it) putting in an address (\\Alspooter\LaserJ) or specifying its IP address (obtained by doing a configuration printout) have failed. It just sits there smirking at me. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

Brian
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
You need to have a basic knowledge of networks.
The printer must have an IP address that is within your range, to be sure your network can see the printer use the 'Ping' command.

swee'pea
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Hello

Many thanks for your response. I tried pinging the IP Address listed under TCP/IP under 'Protocol Information' - 10.16.95.25 - but four 'pings' got no response. There's also something that looks like an IP address - 'Default gateway' - so I tried pinging that. Same result.

Is it in any way helpful to mention that everything else on the LAN has an IP address in the format 192.168.2.x? (The Belkin router being 192.168.2.1)

Thanks again. Apologies again for being in over my head. Two man company. 'Contact your Network Administrator'....'but that's me':(

redcow
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
The IP address that you see is an address that's on the Jetdirect from a previous life.

Brian
09-11-2007, 03:19 AM
You'll need to set the IP address in the printer to one in the 192.168.2.xxx range, I would check (with ping) to see if 192.168.2.10 is free and set it to that.
Also check the subnet mask, that wil most likely need to be 255.255.255.0

redcow
09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
You do know how to enter the IP address, don't you?
If not write back and we'll step you through it.

ptjeff1
09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Did you read this post? We just uploaded a tutorial on networking. I know it is a bit long but you need to know something about networking if you are going to setup a network printer. http://printertechsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1727