PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to retire my HPLJ 4?

MBExprt
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
My HP Laserjet 4 is old beyond belief but has been an extremely reliable workhorse for many years. This morning it gave me an Error Code 57 - Main Motor Failure. Am I correct in assuming that its time to retire the machine and replace it with some less expensive but faster printer? Hard to imagine that the cost of replacing a main motor is less than replacing the printer.

ooojaya
08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I found out about two years ago that parts for your printer are very hard to get or find. I loved those printers but finally gave up trying to find the parts. The motor and main gear cluster which drives the fuser seem to finally go on these as they 'mature'. Good luck, I was told HP doesnt have any parts.

MichaelTech
08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey, I have a lot of them! Good printer, but....you will probably need several other parts, like the exit rollers, p\u roller, etc.. You should just invest in another good laser, but remember, the new stuff parts are way more expensive today. If you are in the USA, reply to this thread, I check daily, I might be able to get a motor to ya.

rmatheson
09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
My HP Laserjet 4 is old beyond belief but has been an extremely reliable workhorse for many years. This morning it gave me an Error Code 57 - Main Motor Failure. Am I correct in assuming that its time to retire the machine and replace it with some less expensive but faster printer? Hard to imagine that the cost of replacing a main motor is less than replacing the printer.

Don't give up on the printer, look to by another on ebay and use the motor from it, we call it building a Frankenstein out of mixed parts from several other trashed printers. They just don't build them like this anymore.

Robert Matheson