PDA

View Full Version : Help! Color Laserjet 5: reset NVRAM

hb9aik
03-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Yes, this printer is EOL and all that, but:

My very low page count printer which I use to print e.g. A3 size sheets had wrong page counts and engine error pointing to a run down NVRAM battery. Now this battery is replaced (yes, the case needs to be opened - arrghhh) and the printer back working but the page counts are all on max - that's apparently the way things are when battery power is reapplied to the NVRAM. Now all was for nothing if I do not succeed in resetting the NVRAM - the manual does not cover this and the relevant entries in service mode are all "read-only"!

Any help out there how this can be done?? Greatly appreciated, would have to scrap two otherwise good printers because of this small IC :-(

Thanks and best regards from snowy Switzerland.

redcow
03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Enter Service Mode.

When Service Mode is displayed, press the MENU key to access the Service Menu. Press the ITEM key to step thru the menu.

Pages=XXXXXX is displayed.
The Xs is the Page Count. To change the "X" press the +/- key.
ENTER key stores the value and scrolls to the next X. and so on.

When you are done press ONLINE twice to exit Service Mode.

hb9aik
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your tip! Tried it, entered Service Menu and toggled through the possibilities. All I found was "SM Config" and "SM Test" and within those no such setting as Page Count.

The printer prints after accepting all the 19.2 user maint error messages (due to the high page counts) but gets an excess of yellow toner. Reducing toner concetration helps a bit (the page is no longer yellow) but a heavy smear along the page remains. That might be yet another problem not related to the NVRAM settings?

Close to giving up - but perhaps another tip available?

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

ibnsane
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I do not have the manual available but I think that if you hold down the the online button as you power the printer on it will "cold reset" which may or may not reset NVRAM. But the yellow streaking may very well be a NVRAM problem as well as the charge voltages for the developers have probably been deleted or corrupted as well. I don't think this can be amended even after the NVRAM is reset as this is something that is done while the developers age in the machine. So unless you just have a bunch of consumables lying around I would say it is time to look for another printer. :(