PDA

View Full Version : Lost Capability To Print From Windows Programs

TechGeek2
03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
To begin with, here’s my hardware and software profile:

1. Computer – Sony Viao with Celeron Processor
2. Operating System: Windows 98
3. Programs: Microsoft “ Works”, Office 97, plus a lot of other programs already installed when I bought the computer.
4. Printer – HP LaserJet 6L connected to local printer port: LPT1

Description Of Problem:
My computer and HP LaserJet 6L printer have both worked quite well until about two weeks ago when I installed a Keycad drafting program.

According to the Keycad specifications, it was designed for Windows 95 (or a later version of Windows). However, after installing the Keycad program, I could not print anything from my Windows 98 programs. I “uninstalled” the Keycad program and I still cannot print anything from my Windows programs.

After I attempt to print, I get an error message that says something to the effect that there has been a problem printing to LPT1. Also, sometimes the program freezes and I have to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart. Other times, nothing happens after I enter a print command. Also, I noticed that the bar graph above the Task Bar stops expanding about half way.

I have successfully installed my printer’s driver and I have set it as the “Local” default printer and gone through a complete shut down and restart routine.

I have tested the printer by typing in the printer port name “LPT” after the “Windows Prompt” and it correctly prints out a list of all the files on my “C” Drive. Therefore, my printer hook up is OK. I also ran the file defragmenter and Scan Disk. I also have 1/2 Gb available on my hard drive

All of my Microsoft programs (Works or Office 97) run OK too. However, I just cannot print from any of these programs.

Since, I can print the file names on my hard drive using the Windows Prompt so there’s nothing wrong with the printer hook up. Therefore, after installing (and uninstalling) the Keycad program, something went wrong with Windows 98 printer software.

Thanks for you assistance.

TechGeek2

theengel
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I would try uninstalling the printer and then reinstalling it with the downloaded drivers from hp.com.