PDA

View Full Version : HP4050TN - after jam slow printing...

ghost_zero
02-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi,

after a jam or opening or removing paper (short if the printer stops printing and then resumes it) and after closing or whatsoever (printer resumes its job) the printing is much slower than before.
Before I had a continous printing but after that it might goes on some time continous (probably until buffer is empty) BUT then it prints 1 to 2 pages and then stops for lets say 30 seconds until it prints the next 1 to 2 pages then it stops again a.s.o.
I just don't know why it prints correctly (fast) until a short print stoping and then is so slow. If it would always stop after 1 to 2 pages and not only if the printer was stopped during printing I would say it is a buffer size problem but so I don't know.
The print job goes over a server in the network and from there it goes to the printer over the network card.

Does anybody know what could be the problem and how I can solve it?

Thanks in advance.

redcow
02-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Try "cold reset" , but remove the Jet direct 1st.

ghost_zero
02-23-2007, 05:40 PM
With Jet direct you mean the network card?

redcow
02-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeh, if you leave the JetDirect in while doing a 'cold reset' you will reset the IP, subnet mask, default gateway etc.

If you run a config page and a menu map first, you'll have all the info you need if something important gets reset.

woodss
02-24-2007, 01:42 AM
i think its more of a network issue, because when the printer stops the network is jammed data stalled, and once you unjam it and put it back on line the jetdirect is jammed up data.

Very unlikely it would be the printer itself, it sounds more of the server issue within the network, however power cycle the printer just in case it is the problem with the jetdirect.

Try cancelling the job and resend the the see if that makes any difference.

Leave the configuration alone at this stage, because it works the first time so that elimnates that as a issue.

ghost_zero
02-24-2007, 03:53 AM
If you cancel the job an resend it, it prints again as it should. However if the job gets stopped again, you have the same problem again...
And I already turned off and on the printer a few times but the problem is still the same. I also have turned rebooted the server in between and tried another driver for the printer (instead of the windows included one I tried the one from HP-Website but still no difference).

redcow
02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Did you try a 'cold reset'?

ptjeff1
02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I've seen freaky slow printing on rare occasion with laserjets 4000 & 4050s and if I remember correctly cold resetting solved the problem. The printer seemed to print at half speed until we cold reset it. So... did you cold reset the printer? If you haven't, this is what you do:
Cold resetting the printer is simply a matter of turning the power off, holding down the GO or Online button while turning the printer on. Cold reset will appear on the display, and you can release the go button.
Follow redcow's advice and remove the jetdirect network card from the printer first so you won't have to re-enter the TCP/IP info.
If you still have the problem after cold resetting, try cold resetting again with the JetDirect left in the printer. Make sure you have your IP & subnet mask info so you can re-enter it. If you still have a problem, try a postscript driver or a PCL 5 driver. You could also try printing from a workstation on your network to see if the problem is in your server ( you'll need to have the workstation's driver use a port pointing directly to the ip of the printer).

woodss
02-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I have owned a 4050N for nearly 3 years and it has never printed at half speed, even if set at PRORES 1200, during this time all I did since repairing the fuser and replacement of the paper feed rollers / pickup is just changing toner and paper and problem described in this thread I have never experienced, I have never had a paper jam.

I thought it was a data processing issue, then turned out to be the engine itself slowed down, really strange, what Iam thinking now what good would a cold reset do, all that does resets the printer to factory defaults, and wipes settings on the jetdirect, if not taken out.

In my particular 4050N I have a Jetdirect 610N and 48 mb of ram, which is beyond the factory configuration.

Find out whats causing the printer to have a paper jam and fix it.

ghost_zero
02-26-2007, 01:47 AM
@woodss:
The problem existed also if you ran out of paper. And I don't have jams that often I just used it as an example.
So: Cold Resetting alone was not enough. I now print directly from the workstation and use the default windows driver and it prints fast now. I don't know yet if it is because of the server or the driver. Anyway: I will find that one out.
Maybe a cold reset was part of solving it still.

Thanks for all your help.