PDA

View Full Version : Laserjet 4000 Error

Grancyanne
02-05-2007, 07:33 PM
The error message on my Laserjet 4000 says 22 Parallel I/O buffer overflow and the printing is random, spaces not printed, printing off center or most often huge printing
I don't see an error message 22 listed on the error message list.
Do you know what I need?
Thanks for your help.:confused:

If it is a memory problem, is that something I can add myself? I am NOT a mechanic.

redcow
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
What are you printing when this happens?

Try printing a different application. Type a few words in Word or whatever your word processor is and see if that prints.

I don't think that you have enough memory to handle that print job.

Grancyanne
02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for quick response. I did print something from word and it printed okay. I tried to print from this website and got a couple of lines of junk on each page.
The program I usually print from is a court reporting program and I have been using the same software for years but this problem started all of a sudden. That's why I don't understand it being a memory thing.

But when I printed from this page the word "PrinterTech" at the top of the page came out so big that only part of the word fit on the page. Is there some sort of setting that I have screwed up on the printer?

MichaelTech
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
You may be using a Postscript driver. Check the printer properties.
Re-seat the firmware dimm, and try another cable to the parallel connection.
At worst, the formatter may be going bad.

gowestover
02-06-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with redcow in that it sounds like a memory problem. I've seen this most often in older printers like a Laserjet 4000, in which the print job in question is "graphic intensive", such as a pdf document or a Powerpoint presentation with a lot of graphics.

If you've been printing the same types of jobs for some time now and haven't had a problem, has anything else changed? Did you switch to a newer version of the software? Did you switch to a newer version of Internet Explorer, etc.. If all of that has stayed the same, then it's possible that memory in the printer is going bad. The final verdict is that your print job is just taxing out the memory capability of the printer.

gowestover
02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I agree with redcow in that it sounds like a memory problem. I've seen this most often in older printers like a Laserjet 4000, in which the print job in question is "graphic intensive", such as a pdf document or a Powerpoint presentation with a lot of graphics.

If you've been printing the same types of jobs for some time now and haven't had a problem, has anything else changed? Did you switch to a newer version of the software? Did you switch to a newer version of Internet Explorer, etc.. If all of that has stayed the same, then it's possible that memory in the printer is going bad. The final verdict is that your print job is just taxing out the memory capability of the printer.

Memory is real easy to add to an HP printer, but at this point, you may want to consider upgrading to a newer printer, as your Laserjet 4000 is getting fairly old. I've had users try purchasing additional memory for a Laserjet 4000 because of this very same scenario, and believe me, adding 8MB of memory made little difference. Since Laserjet 4000's have come out, operating systems and applications have become much more robust, and your 4000 is going to struggle to keep up. I realize that's not what you may want to hear, but it's just going to keep getting worse from here on out...