PDA

View Full Version : How long does ink last from a laser compared to bubblejet?

chopau
01-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi All
I am hoping someone can help me out.
I need to buy a laser printer to print labels for my shipping company as they dont accept anything but laser printed stuff.
I have a cheap deskjet HP 3745 now and going to a laser printer of unknown brand yet. I dont know what brand to get.
Anyway, my problem is I need to print things that will last at least 5 years for tax reasons.
Will a laser printer print last as long or longer or shorter than a bubble jet like I have now?
What lasts the longest and also what prints the best quality when doing mixed colour and black text pages like receipts?
I hear the overall cost when you print a lot like me (100 pages per day), is cheaper with a laser so that is good. Are all lasers as cheap to run per page copy or they vary a lot?
I dont want to spend a fortune on a laser colour printer but I guess they pay themselves off after 5 or 6 months with price of ink anyway.
I hear they are faster too.

Anyway, main question is will a laser printed text last as long or more or less than a bubblejet?

Cheers
Mick

MichaelTech
01-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Does it have to be color? Shipping labels are usually just black, but if you need color, then an HP 2600 may work for you. Are you printing on sticky labels, or just paper? Use labels that are for the HP unit, as other brands may stick, or come loose when heated. I dont use a label printer, or labels. I use an HP 1100A with scanner, and print on paper for putting in the plastic slip.
The 2600 is relatively inexpensive to use, and has a straight-up paper path.
Use halftoning to conserve toner.
Toner will last longer than ink.

chopau
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Ok thanks
I will be printing colour receipts as well as labels.
ill have a look at the HP thanks.

So when you say the ink will last longer, what I really wanted to know was with atmospheric conditions/air/sun/people touching documents/receipts, will the laser ink copies last longer to be visable then bubblejet?

Cheers again
Chop