PDA

View Full Version : HP Photosmart D5160 install failure

HeidelbergBarbi
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
The install for my HP Photosmart D5160 fails every time. I turn off Spyware, firewall and virus (all supplied by AOL 9.0 SE). I connect the USB cable at the appropriate time. At the time the software is communicating with the printer through the USB cable I get a message from Found New Hardware Wizard that the driver cannot be installed for this 5100 series printer.
I have been in touch with HP's tech support and so far the 'fixes' they have suggested have not cured the problem.
I then installed the printer on another computer, one that does not have as much Microsoft updates (such as SP 2) and as much firewall and spyware checking software as does mine (Toshiba Laptop). The install went perfectly and without problem on the XP pro O/S. My laptop is running XP Home with all the MS updates.
Obviously there is something interfering within my computer with this installation. Question is, WHAT. :eek:
I have hooked the USB cable directly to a port (no hub) and the install goes fine till I connect the printer to the computer. I even tried to force load a driver from the list in ADD a PRINTER (Control Panel) but it halts when asking for a file (hpp51003.gpd) and it is nowhere on the CD disc.
No new communication with HP today so I have turned to this forum. :D

MichaelTech
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
You mentioned AOL programs, but have you turned off the XP firewall and virus? The AOL stuff likes to weasel itself into everything, and I advise you to get rid of AOL forever!
Microsoft needs to be left alone and it will work great. There are conflicts over what files to allow\deny, and AOL is the only problem.
You might try to boot in safe-mode, with minimum drivers, and perform the install again. Good luck.

HeidelbergBarbi
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks, MichaelTech, for responding to my plea. I was beginning to think no one would have at least a suggestion as to what to do. My printer sits here nearly untouched and I really would like to use it as it has some nice features.
The XP firewall is indeed disabled, as for virus checking within XP, I didn't think it had that feature so don't know if I have that enabled or not.
I had thought about booting in safe-mode to load this printer and had thought 'that will be my next thing to attempt' but was not sure if it was the right thing to do however I am going to go through with that.
As for my use of AOL :p it is the program I love to hate. Through various circumstances (I travel through Europe a lot) it has become the software I have needed these many years. It may come to pass that shortly I will NOT need it any more and then I will happily clean my computer of any traces of its insidious tentacles.
I shall try it shortly and let you know the results.

redcow
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Have you tried Toshiba support?

HeidelbergBarbi
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Cannot load any printer drivers in Safe Mode. The printer server is not available :(
HP tech support has been trying its best and we did manage to get the printer recognized in the Printers and Faxes but still no printing.
It may be I need to have some little things checked off in the set up. For example, I use A4 paper a lot.
Anyway, with HP's help I have been getting somewhere. I am just wondering WHY I am having this trouble. :eek:

MichaelTech
02-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Best I can say is the CD may be corrupt, and some files are damaged.
Download new driver from HP and select the "install" from site. Say ok to all, and let it setup the printer.