PDA

View Full Version : LaserJet 4000N margin problem from tray 2

eroper
10-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Hello, I have an HP LaserJet 4000N with a margin problem.

The margins do not move and the page prints perfectly straight on the paper.

The printer was recently maintenanced (new rollers, pads, fuser). I don't know if this problem existed prior to the maintenance as I didn't own it then.

If I stop a print mid-way the image on the drum seems to be centered fine. The paper (from tray 2) hangs slightly off the right side (from front of printer) of the transfer roller with quite a bit of room to spare on the left.

Prints from tray 1 (manual feed) are either okay on the margins or slightly off (generally the opposite side). I'm guessing this is more to do with the sliding guides and how sloppily I position them ;)

I have not tried a new toner cartridge. Most people I talk to are guessing that something is wrong with my paper tray (500 sheet tray #2 -- not optional 500pg. tray).

I haven't been able to find anything visibly wrong with my paper tray, then again I wouldn't know what to look for.

If you'd like a little amusement you can direct your browsers to the following link for some photos of my problem, my printer, and how messy I am when taking things apart ;). Up until a few days ago I'd never done anything with a laser printer other than refill paper, toner and remove jammed paper.

http://www.wanfear.com/~eroper/hp4000n/

So now to get to the actual question(s)

[1] Is it likely that it is indeed the paper tray?
[a] Where can I get a new paper tray if it is?

[2] I've also noticed that the engine-test button doesn't work. I cleaned all the dust off the button and around it on the board. Would this most likely require a new board or am I being stupid and forgetting to do something necessary (aside from pressing said button)

Thanks much, any advice you may offer would be most appreciated.

Ed