PDA

View Full Version : HP Officejet 7310 issues

Laurie
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
We recently purchased a 7310 printer and have it installed on a wired network (two computers and the printer attached via ethernet cable into a router attached to a cable modem). Both computers run Windows XP SP2 and have access to the printer and can print.
Here is the problem...one of the computers has three user accounts; one of the accounts is the administrator, the other two accounts are 'limited' accounts. The limited accounts cannot print. The only message received is "file failed to print", and the file sits in the printer queue. If I change the authority of these two accounts to 'computer administrator', they can print with no problem. We have Norton Systemworks running and I have tried shutting that software down to see if the firewall was somehow blocking access but at this point I do not think the Norton software is the problem. I tried contacting HP and quickly concluded that I had more technical knowledge than the person I was speaking with...they were of no assistance and said that all the user accounts had to have administrator authority. I find that hard to believe. I obviously do not want my children on the computer with administrator authority, but I do want them to be able to print. I am hoping that you or someone out there will be able to offer some assistance with this problem. I have read about lots of 7310 problems, but nothing similar to this.

AprinterTek
09-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Try this link to Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_printconcepts_12.mspx?mfr=true

hope this helps

Laurie
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Thank you. Setting permissions for my printer sounds like exactly what I need to do. The question now is how do I do it. I am running XP Home Edition, not XP Professional, so I do not see a security tab when I click the properties of my printer. My documentation states that I will only see the security tab if I hold down the CTRL key while right-clicking the printer properties. That does not work either...no security tab.

AprinterTek
09-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=814005

:)