PDA

View Full Version : hp deskjet 940c in win98/dos

fetchitfido
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
It's at a dairy farm next door and they use it to keep track of and print off reports on the cows. Printing from win98 works fine, although kind slow but thats from being old and parallel.
The PC it's run off of is some HP P3 Tower (didn't get a specific model #) that has a "designed for win ME" sticker on it. They (I assume) put win98 on it and recently the printing has acted up.

When it prints from the DOS program they need within windows it (the printer) dosn't seem to pull the paper all the way through so they have to push the "paper feed" button to get it to finish printing. i belive updating the software to full windows would either cost more then they want to pay or be more of a hassle then pushing the button.
They don't have to do that when printing from windows, only from the dos program within windows. i tried diffrent spooling options and diffrent data sending options, only options are: EQF/EOF(something like that) and RAW, didn't make a diffrence. I don't have acces to it ATM but if i call the owner he'll let me look at it again.
For now it will print but they shouldn't have to push the button to get it to finish printing, I suggested trying a "clean" printer (one that hasn't been in the barn its entire life...) and also cleaning the rollers, but I doubt its the rollers as it works fine from windows.

fetchitfido
05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
ok havn't been able to play with the settings again or try a diffrent printer. i had it do a test page and it says the printer name is HP DeskJet 940c and the printer model is HP DeskJet 870c. Would that somehow cause a problem when printing from DOS?

JJprinter
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Check the driver it may be the wrong one.
uninstall even if it is the same could be corrupt.
Before unistall get new driver first and make sure it works with all O/S's

Driverguide.com may help got lots of old drivers there.

fetchitfido
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
They said they had already tried 2 printers and both did the same thing the same way/time. When I went there they had the hp printer hooked to it and I think the one they orignally had installed was a Lexmark something or other.
I didn't think of a driver issue, other then somehow in DOS mode. I think its extreamy odd that 2 compleaty diffrent printers have the same sort of problem doing the same thing.
I think using 2 diffrent printers would remove the driver corruption issue, but they probly only used the standard win98 drivers and those could have been corrupted, but I doubt it.

not that it makes a huge difference but i found the paper i wrote the printer id on, says its actually a 970c,