Thread: LJ5000 Errors Illegal Tag etc.

Default LJ5000 Errors Illegal Tag etc.

In five years of using the HP LJ5000 I've had never-ending problems printing. Especially double-sided on 12 x 18 paper in 1200 dpi. (These specs are necessary and the reason I spent so much on a printer.) It'll get part way through then print an error message on one of the pages and stop the print process. Often the other side has already been printed requiring starting over. Reams of paper wasted. Nerves fried.

The error is often something like:

"Subsystem: KERNEL, Error: IllegalAttributes (or IllegalTag); Operator: SePageDefaaultCTM; Position: 26281"

I've been through a myriad of HP and MS printers with no luck.

HP has even replaced the main circuit board in the printer.

I have been through Win 98, Win ME and Win XP. ALL components of my computer have been upgraded or replaced a number of times... HD, RAM, OS, Mobo, CPU, Power Supply. Even the case! And I've also moved offices to another part of town. The only constant is the various software programs that I use (most of which have been upgraded and reinstalled fresh as well). Oh, and the power bars.

If I connect to another computer, no problem. If I send a print job from that other good computer to my computer, it screws up. It's mind boggling.

Just a vent, but why on earth would a design force errors to be printed on the page without ability to suppress it? A lot of trees would've been saved.

TIA for any guidance.

Default 5000

Networked? NIC may be flaky. Surprised that HP would recommend the main board. Should have been the formatter. The duplex unit may be the trouble also. Remove NIC, do NVRAM init. Set factory defaults. Remove the duplexer unit and see if still have problem.