Thread: Connecting HP4500 to Mac & PC

Default Connecting HP4500 to Mac & PC

I have HP4500n for Mac, and now I want to connect PC to it also. I have 3 mac and 4500 and PC connected using Lynksys router. I have a older OS on Mac and not being able to share information between mac and pc is ok. But I want to use same printer. Beside ethernet connector, I have Parallel E10 2 in the back of 4500. I have not found any cable that fit that and PC at the same time. I wonder if I need to install something to 4500.

Blog Entries

This shouldn't be a problem. Can you ping the JetDirect (ethernet) card in the printer from the PC? You can print from the pc and mac from the JetDirect card, or connect the PC with a parallel cable and print via ethernet from the Mac.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

Sorry that it took me long time to respond.

Here is my situation. I have 3 mac, 1 PC, HP4500 connected though Linksys router. HP has JetDirect J3110A print server installed. When I go to "EIO 1 JETDIRECT MENUE" on the printer, it shows "CFG Network=NO". I am not able to change this to YES.

I tried to installed network printer on PC using HP's installer, it has the error almost at the end, and it didn't finish. (meaning PC is not finding HP)

I wonder if I get parallel cable and connect, it will work. Or maybe I need to get a different print server such as J3113A.

What do you think?

Update: it is ditecting HP printer. However at the end of HP Install Network Pinter, I get this message. "Unable to install the printer. Please power cycle your printer and, if applicable, the external Jetdirect print server. Then restart this application. If you need more details, click 'More Information'."

Firewall is already disable, printer is on. What else?

Printer name in my Mac and PC doesn't match. Mac recognizes it as "HP Color LaserJet 4500", PC recognizes it as "HP C laserjet 4500-PS" WIll this be a problem? I tried to install new printer from control panel, it said printer name is wrong.

Print out the config pages. Check if there is an IP address.
    Replace the JetDirect. If you have another printer with a JD
    use that one to test.