Thread: HP5 dirty print

Default HP5 dirty print

Hello -
    Have an HP 5 printer that is depositing a toner "fog" on the printed page. I can see that the drum also has a toner fog over its surface. Have carefully cleaned the drum, and the transfer roller, removing the excess toner.
    The printer then prints well for a couple of pages then the excess toner re-appears.

The toner is new, not reman - as far as I can tell - it came in an HP box that appeared legit. I've read that paper bits can be stuck between the drum & toner cleaning blade but have found nothing on close inspection.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It's a great printer albeit slow, bought it new in '96!

Thanks!
    elixer

Unfortunately, even though your cartridge is genuine HP, the problem sounds like a failing toner cartridge. There's not really anything else it can be. The defect rate is usually low with genuine HP products, but they still can fail. As a side note --> if the transfer roller is not original HP (aftermarket brand), some of those transfer rollers have "leaky" oils which can get onto the toner drum and damage the toner drum. So, if you have a transfer roller installed that was not original to the machine, the problem could be a joint problem where the toner drum was damaged by an oily transfer roller. I would replace both to be sure; hate to install a new toner and have it damaged again by a faulty transfer roller.

Quote Originally Posted by elixer View Post
    Hello -
    Have an HP 5 printer that is depositing a toner "fog" on the printed page. I can see that the drum also has a toner fog over its surface. Have carefully cleaned the drum, and the transfer roller, removing the excess toner.
    The printer then prints well for a couple of pages then the excess toner re-appears.

The toner is new, not reman - as far as I can tell - it came in an HP box that appeared legit. I've read that paper bits can be stuck between the drum & toner cleaning blade but have found nothing on close inspection.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It's a great printer albeit slow, bought it new in '96!

Thanks!
    elixer

Quote Originally Posted by cs_steve View Post
    Unfortunately, even though your cartridge is genuine HP, the problem sounds like a failing toner cartridge. There's not really anything else it can be. The defect rate is usually low with genuine HP products, but they still can fail. As a side note --> if the transfer roller is not original HP (aftermarket brand), some of those transfer rollers have "leaky" oils which can get onto the toner drum and damage the toner drum. So, if you have a transfer roller installed that was not original to the machine, the problem could be a joint problem where the toner drum was damaged by an oily transfer roller. I would replace both to be sure; hate to install a new toner and have it damaged again by a faulty transfer roller.

Thanks for the reply. That suggestion does sound like the best approach.

Thanks!