Thread: LJ4200 paper jams

Default LJ4200 paper jams

LJ4200dtn, intermittent paper jams. Sometimes the paper is accordion folded as it jams exiting the fuser, other times the page makes it out the delivery assembly 1/2 way.I've replaced the fuser, delivery assembly, toner cartridge and tray 2. After replacing the delivery assembly, printer went about 2 days before mimicking an accordion.Users are printing simplex.????

You have done everything mechanical that I can think of. The only reasons I have seen things like this were because a feed roller had become too old and hard that it couild not grip the paper. Is it possible the paper is too slick to feed well? In the old 4+ and 5n models the worn out upper feed roller would feed the paper out into the stacker tray too slowly. This would cause the next sheet to back up and get folded up or jam. On these you could see an inch wide curling across the top of the page where the lower roller was pushing the paper faster than the upper roll could pull it along. Then you knew it was time to replace the upper roller. Hope this helps!
    Al

Al,

The rollers were changed. The problem didn't...
    Today I replaced the printer.
    Now it works!!

I have had a few like that. Wanted to put them on a stump out back in the woods and use them for target practice!
    Al

I like your solution RedCow :-) ha

BTW I know I'm late to the party, just had a thought in case you still have that printer around. If the printer has a duplexer installed, you might try running simplex pages with the duplexer removed. On that model if a duplexer is installed the printer uses the duplexer's drive gears to turn the output assembly. So you could try with the duplexer removed just to rule out faulty duplexer.

Since you tried everything else, seems like it has to be either faulty duplexer, or faulty drive gear cluster that drives the output assembly, or by random chance could be a faulty pickup solenoid for Tray 2 where a blank sheet is caught feeding in too early, and shuts down the duplexer drive and causes a jam of the 1st page that is trying to exit ...

CS__Steve, I don't remember if I tried printing with the duplexer out. I did try printing with the back door open, and it still failed.
    When I get a printer like this, It begins to get more expensive to replace parts (with shipping costs and labor) than the printer is worth.
    The paper work alone takes up too much time.
    We've got a guy that I worked with back in my Digital Equipment days, That has his own printer repair business.
    I just call him up, tell him the model, he finds one in his warehouse, tests it brings it to my office where he leaves it and a bill, and picks up the
    bad printer and goes back to his warehouse. I take the replacement to the site and connect it and test it and all is good.