Thread: HP Laser Jet 4M Paper Feed Jam

Default HP Laser Jet 4M Paper Feed Jam

Printer is an HP LaserJet 4M+.

Problem: Paper will jam after just a few pages have gone through. When I open the top and remove the toner cartridge, there will be one sheet partially under the toner cartridge (having just come from the lower cassette tray) and another sheet near the back of the printer, that has just made the turn "upward" toward the exist assembly.

Sound like a pick up roller problem or further along the "trail".

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally I would head towards the fuser.
    What's the Event Log say?

Have you tried printing from the MFT? If that works, then go with the rollers.

To Redcow in Elk Grove....

I'll check out the tray to see if the jamming still occurs. Good idea!! Thanks.

Common problem with these is the feed roller about halfway up the back, between the fuser output and the upper roller that turns the paper into the stacker tray on top of the printer.
    This roller begins to feel hard and slick like a very old pencil eraser, then it cannot feed the paper properly. When this happens the paper is stopped just past this roller. The printer knows something is wrong because the paper did not clear the fuser in time.

If the paper is just poking out of the fuser an inch or so then you likely have a fuser issue, check the paper present sensor at the back of the fuser. If it is missing the spring that retracts it the printer will stop the motor because it thinks there is a jam.

Al

Default HP 4100 Paper Feed Issue

Sounds like the 4100 I am working on.

Customer has a HP 4100 printer that will print a config page fine, but to print the menu map which is three pages, the last page starts into the fuser and quits. Just did a maintenance kit on it, replaced the registration assembly as well. When it begins to print I notice it takes time for the first page to begin to print and it almost sounds to me like it is timing out or something when it comes to the third page. Appreciate any tip. Thanks

Check the easy things first. Did you replace the pickup "D" rollers that pull the paper out of tray #2? Are these "D" rollers clean? Is the paper tray set properly? If it is too tight on the sides or too loose on the long axis then you can get problems like this. Does it work well when you use tray #1? Please let us know what you find and next time please open a new thread.

Al

Default Found problem

While inspecting the exit assembly, I turned the rod with 4 rubber rollers on it. One of the rollers had a split in it. If I hadn't turned it I wouldn't have found it. Didn't have a new roller, so cut off the split rubber roller entirely - and now the paper goes through OK. It surprised me as I thought it would not like having only 3 rollers on that rod - but apparently it's happy enough to overlook the fact...! (Like a 4 engine plane flying on 3 engines?).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jerome

Default Hp 4100

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    While inspecting the exit assembly, I turned the rod with 4 rubber rollers on it. One of the rollers had a split in it. If I hadn't turned it I wouldn't have found it. Didn't have a new roller, so cut off the split rubber roller entirely - and now the paper goes through OK. It surprised me as I thought it would not like having only 3 rollers on that rod - but apparently it's happy enough to overlook the fact...! (Like a 4 engine plane flying on 3 engines?).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jerome
    Thanks for the reply Jerome.

They are sending me back to the site with pick-up assembly to replace and a extra fuser. It is so weird. It will set there and print 50 sheets and then one decides to not go through. Will see how today goes. Paul