Thread: laser jet 4000 Tray 2 Empty

Post laser jet 4000 Tray 2 Empty

My laserjet 4000 displays "Tray 2 Empty" message when there is sufficient paper loaded inside the named tray. I have set sizes correctly on the tray itself and also on my computer, but th message still appears. I have tried resetting the printer, bt to no avail. I think that the paper sensor might be the problem. Any one knows where this is located? Thanks alot

Pull the paper tray out, look up into the cavity of the printer. You should see a thin black plastic "finger" hanging down, this is the sensor that detects the presence of paper ... toggle that and see if it operates properly , should hang straight down when tray is out or paper is out, and should be gradually toggled up as paper tray is inserted/paper is added.

Thanks for your response. I do not see any fingers hanging down. I have send you an image detail. Tell me what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default laser jet 4000 Tray 2 Empty

Quote Originally Posted by cs_steve View Post
    Pull the paper tray out, look up into the cavity of the printer. You should see a thin black plastic "finger" hanging down, this is the sensor that detects the presence of paper ... toggle that and see if it operates properly , should hang straight down when tray is out or paper is out, and should be gradually toggled up as paper tray is inserted/paper is added.

I removed the tray 2 but dont see any finger hangind downward. What should i do now?

The picture is a little blurry, but it does look like the paper sensor is missing. You can see in the picture below how the flag is supposed to be, (ignore the red circles & arrow, that's just the roller) The flag sits in the middle, hangs down behind the blue/grey roller and behind the shaft of 4 little white rollers.

Name:  4000-feed-roll.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  26.3 KB

Sometimes the main finger of the flag can break off when the tray is forced shut a little too strong, or similar problem. I'm guessing that is what happened in your case; most of the flag is still there, but the main finger is gone.

To fix this you would need to replace the paper pickup assembly -- that is somewhat of a big job. We sell that assembly at PrinterTechs; you can reach us @ 866-352-7108 if you'd like to get the part. Plan on probably 1 hour for the average install time.

I'm not sure whether the printer is worth doing the repair or not. If that printer is nearly due for other maintenance parts like a fuser or maintenance kit, you might as well get a replacement printer rather than spending your time installing this piece.

We have replacement printers here: http://www.printertechs.com/refurbis...er-printer.php
    Last edited by cs_steve; 04-24-2012 at 05:15 PM.