Thread: HP LaserJet 3800n 10.92.03 cartridges not engaged error

Default HP LaserJet 3800n 10.92.03 cartridges not engaged error

Hi All,

I have this error on a relatively new printer but, not under warranty. We have changed the cartridges and still get this error. Now the front panel doesn't seem to latch on the right side anymore. Has anyone else run into this issue? More importantly, has anyone else solved this issue

Thanks!
    Dave

Sounds like one of the cartridge locks is broken. These are tiny little pieces and very flimsy, so it's pretty common for one or more to break on this model, especially if a cartridge was inserted a bit roughly or inserted at an odd angle. We sell a replacement cartridge lock kit at PrinterTechs (866-352-7108).

However --> this particular repair is considered "very difficult." To access the locks you pretty much have to tear a good bit of the printer apart --it can turn into a nightmare and it's pretty easy for something to go wrong, because when you re-assemble you have to pay very close attention to detail, or risk throwing off the timing of the gears, etc.

For that reason, my recommendation would be to take it in to a local printer repair shop , or send it in to us (PrinterTechs) for repair. Good repair shops will be aware of this error code and will be familiar with replacing the locks. (As long as the printer is apart, make sure all the locks get replaced, not just the obviously broken one. The locks themselves are cheap, but labor is not and you don't want to have to come back again next week for the same problem when another lock fails.)

Default Not surprised

I suspected that was the issue; thank you for confirming it!

I'll call for a price quote.
    Dave

A good technician can do it in about 45 minutes and the parts cost about 10 bucks. Most printer repair places don't have good technicians, so expect to get quoted for two hours of labor. Still worth fixing, those are rock solid printers aside from the cart locks.

Default Good Technician

I guess I'll find out how good I am!

Thanks for the reply

If you are going to do it yourself, search youtube for videos on how to do it. Maybe google video search...I forget which, but one has a very good video showing all the steps. One tip that I don't think is in the video but I've found helps a lot, when you are going to reinsert the main drive assembly, turn the printer on its side first. There are two floating gears that will make you want to throw the printer across the room because if you bump them even a little while putting the main drive assembly back in they will fall out.

Also look real close at the circuit board at the bottom right of the formatter side of the printer before you remove any plugs. There is one that is empty. Remembering that might save you 5-10 minutes of searching for a non-existant plug.

If you are mechanically inclined, it's a pretty easy fix with proper instruction. It's just a little tedious.

Most printer maintenance where there is no good technical, so I hope to get quoted by the labor of two hours. Still worth fixed Kodak 10, these rock-solid printer side door lock.

Default Follow-up

Just an FYI on this topic. I finally received the lock lever kit and took apart the printer but, the issue is with the right slide lever, the tip is broken off so it will not push up far enough to fully open the cartidge doors.

I'll still replace the lock levers as well but, waiting for the right slider now.

Regards,
    Dave