Thread: Hp p4015 - tray 2 clacking - giving 60.02 error

Default Hp p4015 - tray 2 clacking - giving 60.02 error

HP P4015 - Tray 2 clacking - giving 60.02 error. Found broken Tray 2 on inspection.

Replaced Tray 2 - NO Change
    Replaced Lifter Motor - NO Change
    Replaced Paper Pickup Drive Assembly - NO Change
    Updated Firmware to 04.110.1 - NO Change
    Replaced DC Controller - NO Change

Any other suggestions from someone who has seen this problem and successfully solved it would be appreciated. Am I possibly missing something to do with the sensor flags? They move freely and appear to be in their correct positions and alignment, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks

Tom

Well, a 60 error is'nt in my manual, but it may be close to a DC issue. Did you do a few NVRAm Init's to sync up the formatter and DC?
    With all you replaced and it still clacks, could be just a toner gone bad.
    Is the MP trying to pick up too? It may be the issue.

60.02 = an error occurred while the printer was attempting to lift the tray designated by XX.
    You have done everything that the service manual says to do and more.
    Is the tray actually lifting?

I'll hand this one off to Big Al

I'm going way out on a limb here. Sometimes we get machines that someone tried to overload the tray with too much paper then slammed it back in the printer. We get broken drive shafts that turn the "D" roller so no paper gets picked up. This might make a clacking sound as the broken ends of the shaft rubbed together.

Is there some way to fool the printer into thinking the tray is in place and there is paper in it? Then you could try to feed paper and see what is making the noise? You would have to tape up the paper present flag. Not sure what else would be needed.

Sometimes we have seen the shaft that couples the transmission gears to the "D" roller(S) get pushed back into the transmission. It is just a little latch that holds it in place. When I have seen this it would not feed paper but did not make any noise.

Maybe we have been looking for an electro-mechanical problem when it is actually something mechanical that is broken?

Please, please let us know what you find!

Al

Is paper feeding from this tray?

Back to Mike's question...tray 1. When the clacking occurs, what is tray 1 doing? Can you print from tray 1 without clacking?

Are you sure that it is clacking not clucking? Requires different troubleshooting methods.

Put 2 or 3 sheets of paper in the tray and watch the level gauge at the front of the tray. It should move down when the tray slides into the cartridge.

I have the same exact error message and the printer is doing the same thing. What is happening is that as long as tray 2 is in the printer will lift the paper in the tray. Yes the tab is moving. The printer does not realize that the paper is at the top and keeps on trying to lift the paper some more. When tray 2 is removed the noise stops. Printing from tray 1 is fine. I am glad to see that someone else had this problem and I was actually under the impression that the flag or sensor for the flag is not working. Especially after seeing the parts that were replaced did not solve the problem. I have heard this same noise coming from an HP Laserjet 5SI out of tray 4. Once that tray is set up for plain paper it looks to some like you can store paper on the left side. But with paper stored there it will not allow the tray to lift. Which then causes the thumping noise. Hope someone has some info for me. If I could find a manual on line that would really help. If any one can tell me where to get it I would appreciate it.

Default Tray 2 clicking

Make sure that the printer is sitting on a hard level surface. If not what happens is the weight of the machine sinks into a soft surface which then puts upward pressure on tray 2 resulting in the gear skipping when the tray is half to full of paper.