Thread: HP 2550L and blown USB ports on motherboard

Default HP 2550L and blown USB ports on motherboard

Hi All,

Is it possible that the USB cable from the printer could cause the following:

- shocks when touching the computer case
    - eventual loss of some or all USB ports in the computer

The first time this happened, attempts to print to the printer started giving errors, reinstall did nothing, plugging the printer into different USB ports did nothing. The computer still worked, but I would get shocks (heavier than a static shock) touching the case, any USB port, or my mouse's USB connector (exposed metal at the mouse).

The motherboard and power supply were replaced. A UPS was purchased and everything was plugged into it.

The second time, attempts to print gave errors, touching the case gave a shock, plugging the printer into a different USB port worked. The next morning the machine would not even boot into safe mode.

The motherboard has been replaced with a different type; the CPU and the hard drive have been replaced.

This computer was built by a technician.

Questions:

- Would replacing the USB cable with a parallel connection help? I believe parallel cables do not carry power.
    - Should I call HP? The printer is under warranty.

My situation: partially disabled, equipment being provided by a state grant. This tech says he won't repair the machine again if it fails. Computer is less than 6 months old. Computer contains a fancy video board with connections to copy video to burn DVDs.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

jch

Sounds like something on the motherboard isn't grounded correctly, or something is shorted to ground, based on the electrical shocks you are getting. I would seriously consider having a different tech take a look at it.

Default Update

I called HP, after a long time on hold checking, they told me there's no possibility of the printer sending enough current back to the motherboard to damage it. Their tech suggested the computer had been put together improperly. They gave me a case number and helped as much as they could.

My state counselor said he would cover any repairs after this (by another tech) and told me to go get the machine. The tech had replaced the motherboard (with a different one entirely), CPU and hard drive. In other words he replaced parts willy-nilly. When he replaced the hard drive, he didn't clone it, he copied the contents into a folder on the new drive. I now have hours of work ahead of me to reinstall software and restore data. My counselor doesn't know what cloning really means, but I did inform him of what happened.

If I ever find out what the problem really was, I'll post it back here.

Thanks for your help.

Hi JCH,

Sounds like the people at the store that sold you the computer weren't very competent, I have to agree with Placebo, you most likely had a grounding problem, so why they replaced the hard drive puzzles me.
    Not cloning the disk and not even knowing what cloning means is very un-profesional, tell them to buy Norton Ghost.

Brian

Definitely a ground fault. How is the wiring at your home? I would get a ground fault tester to check that circuit with. It may not be the computer thats causing the trouble. Anything that plugs into the wall and then connects to the PC could potentially cause a fault too; monitor, amplified speakers, modem/router. The power supply on any of these devices could be suspect.

Sounds like the person who built this computer didnt build it properly its mainly a fault with poor grounding as the other techs said.

Have the computer and printer checked by a another technician as the other techs said.

I suggest for you not to use USB on this computer and printer until you have it checked this is certianly not normal this is sounds like something is shorting.

Default my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jch
    Hi All,

My situation: partially disabled, equipment being provided by a state grant. This tech says he won't repair the machine again if it fails. Computer is less than 6 months old. Computer contains a fancy video board with connections to copy video to burn DVDs.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

jch
    I am going to comment on the this tech that if it fails again he wont repair it, this tech sounds to me to be a con artist you should have this computer checked over by a interpendent tech and see what he says about the computer and then if needed by take this tech to court, due to poor workmanship, this tech by law is required to repair the computer if it fails.

In Australia we have laws against this and I am sure its the same for the USA, this is not how a tech should treat a customer and this to me is poor customer service, this tech is not following the guidelines as a tech should follow is to give the customer the best customer service possible and me as a tech is disgusted of how this tech treated you, you should take this computer to a tech whom is outside of the supplier of the computer which is your state.

I suggest write a complaint in writting to your state whom granted the computer to you if you have problems with the state, write to a attorney outside of the state, about your problem and this attorney will apporach the builder of the computer to do a proper job, this is a fault of the tech whom built the computer.

This computer in my regards is a lemon, they could be used poor quality parts to save money and this is why the computer has been granted too you due to this poor cost cutting, I never have computers granted too me due to this problem, you never know how the tech has carefully installed the computer's componets, a tech should wear ESD straps and take ESD precautions you will never know if this tech has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Hi JCH,

Sounds like the people at the store that sold you the computer weren't very competent, I have to agree with Placebo, you most likely had a grounding problem, so why they replaced the hard drive puzzles me.
    Not cloning the disk and not even knowing what cloning means is very un-profesional, tell them to buy Norton Ghost.

Brian
    Agreed these people sound like con artists get a attorney to kick their butts, once they know you have a attorney on their tails they will co operate with you because they are scared then of being sued.

They might even be technicians Brain just people who sell dodgy computers to make a quick buck this is a common problem.

Not even knowing what cloning means that is a strike on them not being techs.

They should go to repair classes.

Default Update

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

We did check the wall outlets with a ground fault tester and all checked ok. Re another device causing a problem - all are plugged into the same UPS as the computer, except for the stereo (no amplified speakers were included, so there is an RCA cable to the stereo for audio).

The problems, eg rebooting, would sometimes occur when I wasn't even sitting at the machine.

Three older computers that had been used here over the past four years never had any problems of this sort. I have also rebuilt or upgraded those machines here myself, using a grounding strap of course, and never had a problem.

The tech is a former field service tech for a large local company, now a retiree working out of his home. Larger local firms tend not to want to work with the state, as payment is very slow and they do not want to operate that way.

First concern was to get back up and running, so I've restored the data to my old and recently rebuilt laptop. The problem machine has been used only as a print server for a few minutes each day. So far it has not displayed any problems. I can get along like this for a little while, but must eventually get the problem machine restored as well.

Your advice to have it evaluated by another tech is a good one. This will have to be on my own nickel, however, and nickels are scarce these days. The shop that rebuilt my laptop did a fine job and I will take it there when the time comes. I also explained to my counselor that this shop might be able to do some work for the state as well.

Again, thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

jch