Thread: Laserjet 1320

Default Laserjet 1320

The light on my laserjet 1320 keeps blinking and indicating no cartridge installed. I have tried 2 different new cartridges, but no luck. I can't print anything, not even a test page. It just keeps telling me to install a cartridge. Here is what I've tried.

- I cleaned the contacts on the memory chip on the cartridge
    - I cleaned the contacts on the memory chip reader on the printer
    - i tried using black tape to cover the chip on the cartridge
    - I've done a reset of the printer by holding the green go button down while booting up.

I'm at my whits end here and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I would really like to get this issue resolved. Thanks in advance!

There are black plastic guides that the cartridge slides on. The one on the right side toward the back should be flush with the front one. If not, it will prevent the cartridge from seating properly. If so, the tab on the top of the cartridge doesn't open the laser shutter all the way, causing the printer to believe the cartridge is not installed. These guides can be replaced, but it should be possible to jiggle or lift the cartridge past the rear guide to install the cartridge, which will enable it to work temporarily until it is replaced (provided someone doesn't remove the cartridge in the interim).

Thank you so much for the reply. I checked the guides and they look ok (compared to image in service manual mine looks identical). The cartridge is able to slide in and makes contacts with the cartridge memory reader. I can not push it in any farther.

So tonight, I've taken the printer apart using the service manual as my guide. Here's where it gets weird. I unplugged the memory tag reader cable from the formatter board as shown in figure 6-15 of the service manual. I then turned the printer back on. I get the same error light with the memory tag reader cable unplugged form the formatter board. I tried a cold reset and still no luck. I was hoping that by unplugging the memory tag reader I would still be able to print, but to no avail. I don't understand how I can still be getting the insert cartridge error if the memory tag reader is disconnected. Is there another sensor somewhere I'm missing?

Does this mean the formatter board is bad? Or can the memory tag reader still be the problem? Or something else?

Thanks again for your help! Any and all help is much appreciated as I have taken over our kitchen and the wife's patience is waning

There is a known problem with this printer and the LJ1160.
    Check the left toner cartridge guide.

Send me your email address and i'll forward the info to you.
    I'm having a problem putting the attachment into the forum.
    Last edited by redcow; 08-05-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Alright, I'm back working on this beast again. Here's the things I have looked at so far.

• Checked both left and right guides and both appear to be undamaged and doing their job
    • used a multi-meter to test continuity between the contacts of the memory tag reader and the formatter board. No problems there.
    • On the left side of the cartridge there is a tab that is pulled back when inserted. I taped this tab back to ensure it was being opened upon insertion to allow contact to the metal underneath. Still no go.

What am I missing here guys? I just don't understand how it can be telling me to "install print cartridge when the memory tag reader appears to be able to transmit signal to the formatter board, the contacts on the cartridge are open and to the best of my knowledge are making contact with the printer.

Experts, please way in with possible solutions. I'm a little whipped at this point. Not sure what to do next. Thanks in advance!

I'd check the toner cartridge guides again , as RedCow suggests ... known issue, common problem.