Thread: Advice on Starting Printer Repair

Default Advice on Starting Printer Repair

I Know that printer tech was started by technicians. I am a copier/printer tech and have been think about starting my own operation. I wanted to get some advice on how to go about getting started.

where can I get hp training?

Thanks for the help.

mdm

Red face

The only way to get HP or any manufacturer training for that matter is to work for a manufacturer's ASP company and get them to send you to training. In the one year I worked for HP, they sent me twice to Dallas TX, and once to Chicago for a week at a time for training. It was great.
    When I worked for Unisys, they sent me to Dell training in Chicago for a week.

Paul@justmanuals.com

I have a friend who's into this business of printer repair he is self-taught and then there is a certain event on our area where he join the competition for Samsung technician and he won suprisingly. He got an award and now he's a regular technician and has his own repair station.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky315 View Post
    I have a friend who's into this business of printer repair he is self-taught and then there is a certain event on our area where he join the competition for Samsung technician and he won suprisingly. He got an award and now he's a regular technician and has his own repair station.
    Thats how I started in 2001, most senior techs here learnt with the school of hard knocks, one technician named Moe in Califorina learnt printer repair from just working out how to take them apart and learning how each componet works and such, this is valuble information when it goes to troubleshooting the machine.

Here is my method of troubleshooting:

• Firstly you need to isolate where the problem is.
    • Like which componet is causing the problem.
    • most of the time the printer if you can switch it on and powers up,
    • Sometimes it will tell you what is wrong.
    • If its not powering up then its more diffcult to troubleshoot, therefore troubleshooting the power supply itself, a easy way to troubleshoot is to check if the fan is turning if this is not turning then something is seriously wrong.
    • You can watch the LEDs and control panel of the unit, if they power up your half way there, which means the formatter is operational, if this doesnt happen, and the fan and output rollers are turning then either the formatter or control panel or communcations line is faulty.
    • Next you watch the printer output rollers and check if they are turning, if not, then the gear train is not working properly.

If your in that situation you have to unplug or take out each componet to know which componet is causing the voltage drop, once the power issue is solved you can then, troubleshoot the problem further, but this is very rare, most of the time its the power supply that is faulty if the unit cant power up.

There is no right or wrong method to troubleshoot, there is common troubleshooting techqiues on this site as well, that gives you basic knowledge.

Self Taught, my dad had these old LaserJet IIs at the auction house, which were TIP, and I started to learn how to take them apart and put them back together again, over the years I shifted to diffrent models, and then started with the color lasers in 2004.

Ask as many Qs you can and get experience before giving advice, thats a major mistake I made in the early days and still paying for it. LOL once you gain a impression on techs you cant get rid of it, just do the best you can and don't let others ruin your dream, I learnt this the hard way.

Beware what kind of reputation you get, it will go with you, you can get a methodology clash with a technician or a group of technicians even if it does the same job, and works just as well, everyone has a diffrent service methodology since we have the diffrent personalities.
    Last edited by woodss; 09-10-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks for the great information about the printers.

Quote Originally Posted by woodss View Post
    once you gain a impression on techs you cant get rid of it, just do the best you can and don't let others ruin your dream, I learnt this the hard way.

Beware what kind of reputation you get, it will go with you, you can get a methodology clash with a technician or a group of technicians even if it does the same job, and works just as well, everyone has a diffrent service methodology since we have the diffrent personalities.
    I'll call it "the best suggestions from an experienced person".