Thread: HP 8150 fuser roller flat spotting

Default HP 8150 fuser roller flat spotting

Hi,

New fuser was installed only 3 months ago for a womp/womp/womp noise during printing. Now that noise is faintly coming back and I can feel it when manually turning the fuser roller.

I cannot change the powersave option from its current 1 hour setting. I was hoping to change to 15 minutes in hopes of it helping relieve the above issue on this lightly used printer. Why can't I select a different option? I can scroll thru them but hitting select button makes no change. Would this even help issue or not really?

Is there a DC controller update? I had seen some comments about a new DC controller on HP 9000's helping avoid this fuser issue, but any uypdates for 8150?

I did update the firmware to 20041013.mb7.119

Thanks,

Dale

HP fusers? or remans? Third party rebuilds use different pressure rollers than HP, and do wear faster. However, even if an HP fuser, it is idle time that is the cause. If not used much,try lifting the release levers, which is done for heavy stock. Easy to click them down when needed.

Default RE: fuser flat spots

Thanks-it is most likely a refurbed fuser.

Still, any idea why I can't change the powersave feature settings?

Dale

This noise could also be coming from your output assembly ... basically, the gears on your output assembly have to mesh with the gears on your new fuser ... we've seen quite a few machines where a loud/grinding noise disappeared with a fresh output assembly ...(basically the output assembly gears are worn out) ...

On your next fuser, if you want to avoid those flat spots, be sure to release those pressure tabs as MichaelTech says (or actually, the other way around -- put them in the "down position" not the up position) ... by default, most companies ship their fusers to you with the pressure tabs in the up position, because it prevents shipping damage ... (on our PrinterTechs fusers we put warning labels on the pressure tabs to remind you to release them, because the flat spot is such a common problem) ... you should never leave the fuser for long periods of time with the pressure tabs up; the tabs are only intended to be for temporary short runs, and then the pressure tabs should be released again ... I generally recommend you never put them up because it's hard to remember to lower them, and cases are rare where the print is actually better with the tabs up ...
    Last edited by cs_steve; 08-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen this problem in a long time, most likely your source for reman fusers is using a pressure roller that is prone to flat spots. We use a pressure roller with a foam-like core very much like the OEM and never have any issues with flat spots.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com