I was lucky enough to purchase an HP Laserjet 4 plus at a garage sale for $2.

I used to use one of these when I worked for a local tech company and was very familiar with it.

The person I bought it from said it was working a month ago. When I got it home I gave it a once over, it looked good, and a few days later we had it hooked up and printing.

After the first 2 pages, we began to get a 13 paper jam error. Every time we printed.

It will print the page (in this case, coupons) but seems to get stuck near the top (as it was trying to come out) and the last part of the paper that comes out of the printer ends up crumpled.

I also had several sheets that didn't even make it out of the printer before I would get a paper jam error.

I've given the printer a once over as much as I can and following instructions found on the web, but I'm running into some problems since I don't really know what part of the machine is what.

2 questions -
a) is there a place online that can help me identify which part is which? Maybe a repair manual. I did find one, but after downloading it and unzipping it, still couldn't get the manual to open. I guess I don't have the program it needed?

b) does the printer sound repairable? We're willing to spend some money on it, but I don't think I could talk my husband into spending hundreds to repair it.

This is for at home use. I bought it because it was so dependable back when I used it everyday at the office. We just had a bad experience with a Canon printer that broke after using it for 3 months.

Can anyone help?